DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Should I Stay or should I go? Sell GL2? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/54398-should-i-stay-should-i-go-sell-gl2.html)

Craig Stevens November 14th, 2005 11:27 PM

Should I Stay or should I go? Sell GL2?

Hello, I was looking for some advice about my GL2. I have had it about 6 months or so. I bought it off of Ebay, the thing looks and acts BRAND new. I have NEVER had any problems with it so far. I have used tapes on it for about 3 hours straight and there have been no issues. So why am I worried? I'm just looking for some advice really. I bought a Firestore FS 4 due to my awesome camera, but my not so awesome computer capturing ability. It is great, things have worked out fine. I have used it for about 10-15 hours of solid use since then.(few concerts, shorts, etc) I have had no issue with it. I guess my question is this, Since I do not use the digital drive (I have another less inexpensive Panasonic I have had for years that I can play tapes in) do I have any legitimate fears that this thing is going to freak out on me? I didn't even know about a "power out" issue with this thing until today. Are there other concerns and issues out there?

Yes I am freaked out because it really isn't even entirely paid off yet! ha.. And I don't want to be stuck without a camera.. Should I sell it and get something more reliable? or since I am just using it for the camera and going straight to digital, I shouldn't have any problems?

Thanks for any advice, this is my first post, and I can't wait for more!

Craig- Middle of Missouri

Don Palomaki November 15th, 2005 05:45 AM

There are concerns and issues with all camcorders. The more use, hard use, and abuse one is subject to the more concerns arise. Expressed concerns on web boards tend to rise with expectations. People who expect a lot from their gear are more likely to express concerns that would not be noticed by people with lower expectations.

As to risk - if you have made 6 months without a problem, you are runing on a normal curve and can expect normal reliability performance.

The real question becomes what is your risk tollerance. If you cannot accept the risk of a camcorder failure during a shoot, check your system carefully before each shoot, and occasionally during the shoot during a pause in shooting to detemineif it is OK, and have a backup camera available in case of a problem.

If you still have sleepless nights over buying a used camcorder, then sell/trade it for something thatk makes you more comfortable.

Michael Wisniewski November 15th, 2005 10:11 AM

One way to go, is to rent the latest and greatest camcorder when you really need it. That's what I do.

I keep an inexpensive consumer camcorder around for immediate access, that way if it breaks it's relatively painless to replace.

Having said that, my Canon Optura Xi has been through 5 years of rough and tumble use, and it only just recently broke (won't rewind). Still works though, I just carry around an extra tape rewinder.

Craig Stevens November 15th, 2005 11:59 AM

Thanks for the advice. Where I think the only thing around here for rent is farm equipment. So I don't think that is an option. I realize things break etc, but I hate thinking I would have to send this thing somewhere. We'll see.. grrr... I may have to sell to make my mind feel more at ease.. Do the xl2's have many issues? Is there a site that has cameras rated by reliablity?

THANKS for everyones help!

Don Palomaki November 16th, 2005 05:41 AM

Consumer Reports has published some ratings for consumer grear in the past, but not sure how meaningful they are when you get into higher end gear like the GL2 or XL series.

For the price difference of ungrading to an XL2 you probably could get a secong GL2, and that may be better for you if you are not going professional work. IT gives you a back-up unit as well as allowing two-camera shoots.

See the XL2 forum here for more on people's expereinces with it.

Sean Hansen November 25th, 2005 12:57 PM

I agree with Don's post. No matter what camera you buy, it's always good to have a backup camera on hand. High or low end, it's better to have one than none at all.

Owning a GL2 for awhile now, it's a good camera, it's reliable, and the price is just right(for me that is). It allowed me to get a second camera (FX1) a few months later. But I still use the GL2 on a daily basis for hours. And not one hiccup, not one bad tape, not anything but solid work out of it. I was worried sick after reading all about these horror stories. But I like the size and weight of this little baby. After adding on lenses, mics, lights, etc to my rig. It still weighs less and fits anywhere. I have totally forgotten about all the horror stories because I haven't had anything happen to me yet. And I work that camera a lot in all kinds of conditions.

But it comes down to each individuals' concerns. And if you'll feel better selling then by all means do so and ease that worry. Now you can get handheld HD cam from Sony for about the same price and ppl say it is a great cam. I'd wait till after X-MAS & even New Years for those amazing sales that go on at Professional Ebay Stores and Recommended online retailers.

In any case, wish you all the best with whatever decision you make & keep on filming!

Sean