DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   white balance gl1 question (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/54529-white-balance-gl1-question.html)

Andrew Todd November 16th, 2005 06:58 PM

white balance gl1 question

I'm trying to figure out how to set manual white balance and i dont understand why i cant. i know i can find this in an online manual but i dont have the ability to run a pdf reader on this pc as i am at work. This answer would be greatly appreciated.

James Bridges November 16th, 2005 07:02 PM

Run camera on manual settings. Zoom in and focus on a white card. Hold in the button below the flip out screen that looks like 2 triangles pointing one another. It will blink on your monitor. Once it stops blinking you are balanced.

Andrew Todd November 16th, 2005 07:06 PM

mine might be broke... thats what ive been trying. It doesnt ever seem to stop flashing

James Bridges November 16th, 2005 07:32 PM

It will keep flashing sometimes if your light is too low. I have also had that problem if you are too close to the white card for some odd reason. Try backing up a bit and throwing a touch more light to it. If that doesn't work, do the un thinkable and back your zoom out all the way and try it. Turn away from the white card and see what happens. Your balance may be damaged on the camera itself. You may have to judge it by eye then color correct in post. What happens?

Paul Gallagher November 19th, 2005 06:12 AM

It says on the manual it can do this with the slow flashing but this will improve the setting and not to worry about it, whats your footage like, this would be the decider.

Paul

Graham Bernard November 19th, 2005 09:39 AM

Paul . .oh yes.

However, is the ANY environment that works for you - with WB-ing?

Grazie

Paul Gallagher November 19th, 2005 09:46 AM

If you mean the slow flashing, its only in a badly lit indoor enviroment, never during the day, only under bad artifical lighting, I've not owned mine that long.

I usually use a XL1s and it never has this /problem/setting so to speak.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Is the footage ok that you got?

Paul

Andrew Todd November 20th, 2005 04:43 PM

ive got it working now. It just seems harder to balance on colors other than white. Filmed a band play last nite at a party. Low lights and lots of smoke from the smoke machine with people skating a halfpipe right beside it. Made for some good footage. Some grain because of the lack of lights but i liked the orangey effext that a light blue white balance gave me especially with the smoke. I would have been happier if my friend would have thought to bring his vx1k to catch all the skate tricks to cut with..oh well ..next time

Graham Bernard November 21st, 2005 05:20 AM

" It just seems harder to balance on colors other than white. " Now I don't understand what you are doing?

Please explain .. . Grazie

Andrew Todd November 21st, 2005 03:32 PM

i mean when balancing on "off-whites"

James Bridges November 21st, 2005 03:40 PM

Always balance on white. Even if you just carry a white sheet of paper with you in your back pocket. This is the only way to get a true white balance.

Andrew Todd November 22nd, 2005 05:23 PM

if i was trying to get a "true" white balance i would have used white. i like the look of a very light blue

James Bridges November 22nd, 2005 07:48 PM

Cool man, just trying to help out. Good Luck.

Andrew Todd November 23rd, 2005 03:57 PM

appreciate the help. Thank you