Is a GL2 extended warranty worth anything? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old December 13th, 2002, 07:09 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Is a GL2 extended warranty worth anything?

I asked a representative at ZGC if they offered any extended warranties on the Canon GL2 camera, aside from the manufacturers warranty. Part of their reply read:

"Canon does not recommend any extended warrantee. There is no guarantee where the camera is being repaired."

So are extended warranties pretty much useleass? Should I be concerned about the camera quitting on me after a year? OR do these camera's usually last a long time, provided they are taken care of by the owner?

I can't afford to purcahse a GL2, then have it break after 3 or 4 years...
John Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2002, 08:43 PM   #2
Wrangler

Extended warranty is really just a pre-paid service agreement, not a warranty. It is kind of like insurance. On the average, people lose money buying it (certainly all of those whobuy but never use it). But a few people will come out ahead. Remember that the service agreement is priced so that the folks who offer it and who sell it make money.

Most failures are within the first year, or well into the future beyond the reach of the service agreement. But ther are exceptions.

It is worth buying only if you can afford the service agreement, but cannot affort to pay for a covered out-of-warranty repair. And remember, it is only as good as the company behind it.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2002, 10:35 PM   #3
Regular Crew

purchase it with a mastercard visa platimun (in my case citibank) and the warranty is extended an additional year. my camera will be covered for 2 years. cost=$0.
Michael Buendia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2002, 11:09 PM   #4
Warden

This thread will give you a couple of alternatives http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...light=all+risk

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2002, 11:22 PM   #5
Regular Crew

mbuendia4, purchasing the camera will extend the warranty a year if I use a visa platinum card? I have a visa platinum, I was not aware of that. I assume that's a service that visa supplies and not canon.
Old December 14th, 2002, 01:54 AM   #6
Regular Crew

call and check with your card's customer service. i called citibank and they extended the warranty one year. this is directly thru citibank, so if the camera goes down after cannon's warranty period all i have to do is send it to a local canon service center (irvine) and citibank will pay for the repairs. it works for me. hopefully your card can hook you up to. good luck.

mb
Michael Buendia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2002, 01:18 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I called Citibank customer service today. They said that the platinum card does offer an extended year on warranties for purchases.

Thanks a bunch, It'll be a great relief to have a 2 year warranty, and an even better deal to get the second year free.
Old December 16th, 2002, 05:33 PM   #8
Bryan Blair

You should also check with your home owners insurance... for a small rate, you might be able to get "all risk" insurance for your camera, which is nice in case you accidently knock the thing off a tripod or someone spills coffee all over it.

Regards,
Bryan
Old December 16th, 2002, 08:31 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Insurance Rider

You can get a rider on your home/renters policy for your video gear no problem. I have one for my wife's jewelery, my audio recording stuff, and yet another for my film & video equipment. Mine is "cost of raplacement" they depreciate the use of the stuff when they pay the claim, but if you replace it they cover the difference up to full cost, minus the deductable of course. It's probably cheaper and easier than an extended warranty too, and your insurance company will probably still be in business long after you buy your gear, unlike a lot of electronics/specialty stores.

Mark
Old December 17th, 2002, 12:55 AM   #10
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

GE offers extended service contracts .. NOTE they do not contract with canon ... they will have you take your camera to a local repair shop near you ... that local shop can then send/sub out repair to canon - most shops will only clean heads , fix loose mini jacks, -very minor repairs ..

GE then pays the local shop ( usually within 3 days of receiving bill) .. the local shop then pays canon ... the local shop makes their $$ adding a % onto what canon charges them

GE paid for the replacements of my GL1 HOT pixels ...i took it to a local repair shop that was on GE's list. local shop sent it to canon ...
Don Donatello is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders