DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Head Cleaning Message (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/5620-head-cleaning-message.html)

Joshua Wachs December 21st, 2002 08:43 PM

Head Cleaning Message

I just got the message that my GL2 heads are dirty and need cleaning.

The manual says get a DVM-CL Digital Video Head Cleaning cassette and run it through up to 5 times.

Anything else I should know about this?

Also, anything cause heads to get dirty faster than normal? My friend has the same camera, bought two weeks before I did, and he hasn't gotten the message. He's also done a lot more shooting than I have lately...

Thanks!

Ken Tanaka December 21st, 2002 11:41 PM

Overuse of tapes, using tapes of various brands without cleaning your heads in-between, etc. There could be some external dust in the compartment. Be sure to keep the compartment closed.

Joshua Wachs December 22nd, 2002 09:45 AM

Weird. They've all been the exact same Sony tapes. What do you mean overuse of tapes? Aka, using one tape over and over?

Ken Tanaka December 22nd, 2002 12:15 PM

Yes.

Well it sounds like your not having the multi-brand-lubricant-clog problem.

Joshua Wachs December 22nd, 2002 04:00 PM

Do brands of headcleaning cassettes matter?

Ken Tanaka December 22nd, 2002 04:02 PM

Not that I'm aware of. Panasonic and Sony are the only two manufacturers I know of. (Canon-brand cleaners are, I believe, Panasonic.)

Joshua Wachs December 22nd, 2002 04:58 PM

Cool. Thanks Ken.

Frank Granovski December 22nd, 2002 05:25 PM

Don't run the cleaning tapes 5 X in a row! Read this:

http://www.dvfreak.com/tape.htm

Bill Hardy December 22nd, 2002 07:19 PM

Frank, I always thought the cam should be in the play mode when using a cleaning cassette. Am I mistaken?

"The quick solution is to run a miniDV head cleaning cassette in your cam. This should be done for about 5 seconds only. If this doesn't resolve the problem, then pop it back in and record for another 5 seconds. "

Frank Granovski December 22nd, 2002 10:13 PM

Play mode? I read, record mode. Am I wrong? Correct me if I am.

Frank Granovski December 22nd, 2002 10:58 PM

Boy, did you open a can of worms!

Bruce A. Johnson and a few other videographers suggested to record for 5 seconds. I've also read this this here and there. However, on my JVC and Panasonic cleaning tape instructions, it reads to the press play, and for 20 seconds---but that's too long, I think. But here's the can of worms I discoverd:

My Pana cleaning tape which came with my MX300 says that it's "the dry type." So I presume it's meant for cleaning dry lube tapes. Both Sony and Panasonic make a dry miniDV tape. The JVC tape cleaning instructions make no mention regarding dry or wet. So..., I'd better not use the Pana cleaning tape in my MX, because I'm using Fuji tapes, and they are made with wet lube. On the bright side, I've never had to use my cleaning tape in the MX300. Why? Because I use Fuji miniDV tapes! (Chuckle.)

Ken Tanaka December 22nd, 2002 11:44 PM

Frank,
Indeed, a can of worms. Actually, in the case of cleaning cassettes, I believe that the term "dry" actually refers to the cleaning process employed. Some such cassettes, such as some used on VHS decks, employ an alcohol solution which is applied on the tape before use. So I believe that the dry-cleaning cassettes will be just fine regardless of tape brand / lubricant.

Re: cleaning the heads during play or record, I don't know. I've always used "play" mode and assumed that the tape passes over the entire drum regardless of mode.

Joshua Wachs December 23rd, 2002 08:01 AM

Anyone else Fuji fans as well?

I've been using Sony "premiums" but if there's a general agreement that Fujis are better, I'd love to hear about it.

Zaid_Malaika December 23rd, 2002 10:49 AM

Head Cleaning Message

Schwachs

What brand of tape your friend is using? Is it possible that Sony tapes will dirty the head faster that Panasonic or Fuji? Can you guy’s who are using Sony, Pana and Fuji tapes tell us after how many tapes as an average you need to use your cleaning tape, this will give us a better picture about each brand

Thanks

Ken Tanaka December 23rd, 2002 11:07 AM

The brands are basically the same quality across the same price points, folks. It's a waste of time discussing imagined differences between brands. Unlike analog tapes whose substrate characteristics could affect analog signal quality, dv is composed of bits, just like your hard disk. Either it's there or it ain't.

Select a brand whose packaging or name appeals most to you and stick with it. That's the important point for good camera maintenence.