DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Image Stabilizer Issue (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/5644-image-stabilizer-issue.html)

Graham Bernard December 24th, 2002 02:36 PM

Image Stabilizer Issue

First of all - A Merry Christmas!

Okay, here goes. I know I've a lot of camera caft to learn - that's a given. However, try as I might I can't seem to get the image "stable". Yes, I've tried Image Stabilzer on and off. I can do smooth pans - but when I see the image there is a noticable, momentary very very slight "jerk" as the image moves across the screen. To put it bluntly, even I could not make this tiny "jerkiness".

So what to do?

Yes yes, I know it is Christmas Eve - in the UK its now 8:30pm - and we are all wishing to pull stumps and get on with whatever - could somemone give me a xmas pressie telling me I'm either being too fussy OR that this is a known "effect" - OR better still is there a type of "test" I could run to assess this effect.

Thanks in advance,

Grazie

Mark Härtl December 24th, 2002 03:09 PM

Wasn't there a tripod lying under your christmas-tree? ;-)

But to talk serious: I've never had a problem to hold my gl2 stable with ois turned on - neither this evening and neither with fussy hands.

Nathan Gifford December 24th, 2002 05:56 PM

A lot of things can affect pans.

Frame mode on. If you pan too fast in this mode you may get some jerkiness.

OIS on while on tripod. Optical Image Stabilzation will have problems if you have it on while mounted to a tripod. I forgot this one time and had the American flag gallivanting all over the frame. OIS off and everything worked fine.

Lousy tripod/tripod too light. A good tripod is a must. If the tripod is too light for the job, it is very difficult to get a smooth pan.

Shutter speed. Again like frame mode, shutter speed can have a major impact. Try setting to Tv (shutter priority) or manual and slow down the shutter.

Merry Christmas Eve,

Graham Bernard December 24th, 2002 11:02 PM

Cheers Nathan

Haven't used frame mode, will experiment.

All experiments done without tripod.

Now, shutter speed sounds unteresting. I'll give that a go.

I've been invited by a pro to become a "3rd Cameraman" for some wedding shoots in late 2003. I need to get my act together.

MERY CHRISTMAS one and all . . .. . . .

Grazie

Nathan Gifford December 25th, 2002 07:36 AM

Without a tripod smooth pans are tough even with OIS. I have found that it is better to keep your elbows out away from your stomach will aid stability. However, it is difficult indeed to maintain a smooth pan, especially if you must change foot position.

Merry Christmas,

Steve Nunez December 25th, 2002 08:13 PM

Panning

Should the OIS be on when you intend to follow a bird in flight- what about when it lands? Would there be a smooth way to go from non-OIS footage in a pan to OIS when the bird lands?
I've been having this problem with a Panasonic Palmcorder, if I use EIS, the camera wont allow me to follow the hawk smoothly...if I turn it off it get's shaky when the hawk lands....what wuld the experts do?

Jeff Donald December 25th, 2002 08:59 PM

If I'm shooting birds in flight my camera is always on a tripod. The OIS is never on and I rely on the fluid head to provide smooth starts and finishes to the pans. If I didn't use a tripod I would lower my expectations of the flight shots. Hand holding a camera and attempting flight shots is a very low percentage shot. If I had to hand hold, I would use OIS and use a motion effect (to smooth out the shot) when the bird lands.

Jeff

Andre De Clercq December 26th, 2002 07:17 AM

Steve, earlier EIS systems (specifically some pana's) sharply decoupled the stab system when zoom,pan or tilt was detected, and engaged the system suddenly when the motion vector values were small and uniform again. Birds flying in a uniform background (sky) cam be detected as non panning... Maybe you cam is "hunting" between EIS on and off.