Time code and "logging" - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old December 24th, 2005, 01:41 AM   #16
Old Boot

Micky, " . .. I think the problem must be that sometimes they tapes are rewound and played back in the field." AND not picking some of the PENULTIMATE frames as a means to "latch" onto previous timecode. Playing stuff in the field works for me - but, I do this very VERY rarely - so this is NOT the problem. The technical problem is that timecode is NOT being made continuous. That is the "technical" problem.

IMHO, the problem is "WHY" this is being done at all? Why do your operatives feel it is necessary to do this? Are they worried they haven't got what you want? Or are they purely interested to "see" what they have shot? Is there pressure on them to ensure shots? I have suffered with all this myself. I've kinda taught myself to leave well alone - mostly! LOL!

However, I WILL do this within a controlled and controllable situation and maybe where it is needed = INTERVIEWS! Lit interviews where I can do retakes. But here again, I monitor both audio: CANS! and video: MONITOR! and get a very good realtime version of what is happening.

I guess what I'm inviting you to look at is the management of the expectations you have of those you are making responsible for getting the "shots". This is tough call. Only you and you alone will know what to do. Again, breaks in timecode has a "technical" solution.

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2005, 11:19 AM   #17
New Boot

Grazie,

I think that any play back in the field is attributed to the "hunter" coming out in the camera operator. Especially when bowhunting. It is so tempting to replay and try to determine where the arrow impacted. As if it would change anything.

If I understand you correctly, the time code will run continuous after replay if we start recording over a portion of tape that was previously recoded.

Thanks for the help. I think this gets me to the root of the problem. We are in a learning curve right now. Our project is to produce a hunting DVD. The editor pointed out many things for us to do to "help" him when he gets the tape. Fortunately for us we have many chances to get enough quality footage. Hopefully, we get more efficient and proficient as we go along.

Thanks again,
Micky
Micky McCrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2005, 12:30 PM   #18
Old Boot

" . .If I understand you correctly, the time code will run continuous after replay if we start recording over a portion of tape that was previously recoded." . . .you will get the "old" timecoded portions left behind, from striping, between the NEW events. You will NOT get the continued timecode from the NEW shoot. Just so long as you know/realise this?

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2005, 12:37 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micky McCrea
Grazie,

If I understand you correctly, the time code will run continuous after replay if we start recording over a portion of tape that was previously recoded.
Grazie -- I think "recoded" is a typo. He may have meant "recorded." And in that case, yes Micky, the timecode will pick up from the previous shot as long as you begin recording over some of the previous footage.
Jim OMalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2005, 01:58 PM   #20
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim OMalley
Grazie -- I think "recoded" is a typo. He may have meant "recorded." And in that case, yes Micky, the timecode will pick up from the previous shot as long as you begin recording over some of the previous footage.
You are correct, that was a typo.

Thanks,
Micky
Micky McCrea is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders