GL2 quick audio solutions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old January 2nd, 2003, 11:18 PM   #1
Regular Crew

GL2 quick audio solutions

Can the Canon DM-50 or the Azden SGM-X microphones provide a significant increase in audio quality? If yes to both, which would be better? Is there another simple solution that would be priced appropriately?

Please advise.
Brad Higerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2003, 11:24 PM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Brad,
What problem are you trying to solve with another microphone? The GL2's onboard mic is actually a very good omidirectional stereo mic. Are you looking for an on-camera directional mic?

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2003, 08:07 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I'm still very new to the world of MiniDV, and yet I am about to purchase a new camera soon (likely a GL2). I have been reading everything I can find as well as trying to outfit the camera to handle the "home-movie style" pieces on our 30 minute college sit com. The majority of the program is being shot on BetaCAM SP, but we (the college students) want to shoot several sketches using a high quality MiniDV camcorder to increase mobility and reduce noticibility.

Regardless of our motive, I want the audio from their dialog to come out clear without having to spend $400+ on a professional mic and interface.

The goal is to get excellent/near excellent audio without excess hassle or cost. So to answer your question, I believe we are looking for a solid directional mic and would appreciate any advise you might have to get us such (preferably around $150).

An aside: all this is an excuse to get my hands on a good MiniDV to see what it can do!
Old January 3rd, 2003, 08:20 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi Brad,

I own the DM-50 and in my opinion it is very good. Sure, it isn't a Sennheiser ME66, but it's much better than the onboard mic of the GL2 and will serve you well and do the trick with your sketches. I bought it for 170 € and it was a good decision to buy it :)
Old January 6th, 2003, 12:35 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Mark,

I read in another thread that you were interested in mounting an ME66. How would you measure/rate the difference between the DM-50 and the ME66?

Brad
Old February 16th, 2003, 12:54 PM   #6
Trustee

I have the Azden SGM-X...it's better than the stock mic (unless someone here thinks otherwise???) and only $129...for the price it's great!

Anyone here have the SGMX- any words? Is it better than the onboard mic- opinions??
(let's see what the board says)
Old February 16th, 2003, 07:44 PM   #7
Wrangler

Depends on whether or not you need stereo.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2003, 07:44 PM   #8
Regular Crew

We broke down and bought a Sen ME66K6, a shock mount, and a "Softie" (which might be more accurately called a fuzzy) and we shot on the beach yesterday. The audio is great. After making the decision to go this route, I am not disappointed.

As far as offering an opinion about the onboard mic, I have never used it. We may use it sometime when stereo pickup is critical, but for now I am very pleased with our choice in shotguns.
Old February 17th, 2003, 08:19 AM   #9
New Boot

One comment about the SGM-X. It is not shock mounted and I have picked up camera motor noise with it. I ended up exchanging it for the SGM-1X, which has a shcck mount. This eliminated my motor noise pickup.
Charles Fields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2003, 01:32 AM   #10
Regular Crew

AZDEN VS SENNHEISER

I bought the top of the line SMG 2X. It was okay.
I then rented a Sennheiser ME66 to compare. A totally different world.

I returned the AZDEN immediately.

The Senn is infinitely a better pro mike for about $150 more.

If you can afford it, its no contest. Imagine the difference between a Chevette and a Honda.

The Senn gives you cleaner, better output, a huge improvement in REAL frequency response and sensitivity. It sounds REAL.

You get what you pay for.
Neil Slade is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders