DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   GL / XM assorted posts, 2003 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/5789-gl-xm-assorted-posts-2003-a.html)

Chris Fangio February 28th, 2003 02:37 AM

Canon VL-20

Good morning from Germany,

I have the chance to get a Canon VL-20 video light but I cannot find any specifications or information if this device will work with my XM-2. Any suggestions from you people out there? Is this simply the 20 Watt-Version of the VL-10?

Thanks in advance,
Chris

Chris Hurd February 28th, 2003 03:16 AM

Guten Morgen auf Nevada! Wie geht's es Ihnen? Ich bin müde, weil Mein Tag ist gerades Ende jetzt.

I haven't heard of the VL-20 yet, but I'll bet it's a 20 watt version of the VL-10.

CarterTG February 28th, 2003 05:12 AM

VL-20 is the light made for the Canon L1/L2. It almost looks identical, but the battery plate will NOT accept the BP9xx series batteries used by the GL and XL miniDV cameras. I know this for a fact as I have both.

I got to appreciate the VL-20's ergonomics almost immediately. It's elevated lamp ensured that the beam cleared the L2's mic windscreen and the width was set so that the CRT viewfinder could swing it's full 180 degree arc without getting hit. I suppose you COULD use a VL-20 with the new DV cameras, but you'll have to carry around a seperate set of NiCd batteries.

For that kind of hassle, $60 mail order for for the VL-10i seems more sensible. Both cast approximately the same amount of light. I suspect the VL-10i achieves this by using a rapid-pulse circuit to safely "overdrive" the 10watt bulb. It would explain the brief half-second half-intensity pause before kicking up to full brightness. The VL-20 is more simplistic and doesn't do that.

Carter

Chris Fangio February 28th, 2003 12:14 PM

Chris -- Danke, aber mein Deutsch ist ganz einfach! Und mein Grammatik ist sehr schlect. Das tut mir leid! Wiederholen,

Thomas Fraser March 1st, 2003 06:28 PM

mini DV tape life

How many times can I use a mini DV tape before it starts to have drop-out and other problems??
Thanks

Wayne Orr March 1st, 2003 08:12 PM

The short answer is probably twenty, but for more information go to www.taperesources.com They sell all major brands of tape and have an excellent faq library with answers to this and other questions concerning various formats of dv.

Will Fastie March 1st, 2003 10:15 PM

I've been involved in this discussion on a number of other forums. After a lot of back and forth, my answer to the question is one.

But that's not because the tape wears out. It's because there isn't really a better place to archive the original footage than MiniDV tape. One tape's worth of video (in its 13GB AVI form), does not fit on any other economical media. I'm using Panasonic tapes that I buy for less than $4 each, which really is very cheap. It would take 3 DVDs to hold the same length of video, but it would be in 2 to 3 pieces.

So my strategy is to record on a tape once, archive it, and read it when necessary to retrieve footage. It's no different than what you'd have to do if you were using film.

Maybe 30GB BlueRay devices will change my mind. I'd much prefer to archive the footage on random access media, making it much faster to get at a clip. But until some other archive medium is cheap, I'll just hang onto the tapes.

Jim Yang March 3rd, 2003 11:17 AM

How long do 5550mAH last?

I just got a new Lenmar 941. It's rated at 7.2v 5550mAH. How long will it last realistically with and without the LCD screen on?

I have a GL2.

Nils Thomas March 4th, 2003 05:31 AM

Batteries with the VL-10Li light

Hi guys

I just got the VL-10Li light for my XM-2, and I'm abit confused about something it says in the manual. It says: "Use only the Canon BP-911/914/924/927 battery pack as power source"

Well, I only have the BP-945 and the battery that came with the camera. Can't I use them?

CarterTG March 4th, 2003 06:28 AM

The manual was mass-printed before the BP945 was released. The intentions of the manual was to convey that you can't use BP6xx series batteries as it won't fit in the VL-10i's battery plate.

I've used my BP945 with that light quite often... admittedly not just for the GL1, it makes a darn nice area flashlight too!

Ryan Krga March 6th, 2003 09:25 PM

"Suspect interview" lighting...

I was just wondering if anyone has ever shot a person in pitch dark with just one light on them. What light did you use and how did it come out? Any pictures/video? I am trying to find a light that will give me that look without a huge loss in quality.

Thanks you,
Ryan Krga

Ken Tanaka March 6th, 2003 10:01 PM

I'm not really sure what you mean by "suspect look". To me, that means is a flat, face-on image such as a police booking photo.

But what you're describing is basically the use of only a key light with no fill or background lighting. You can accomplish that with almost any light. If you're looking for a high-contrast image use a tungsten light.

Steve Nunez March 7th, 2003 08:17 AM

The Power 2000 batt is rated at 6000 mah- very similar to your batt rating- so it's probably good for 4 hours with LCD on and about 5.5 with it off......let us know what you get.

Ian Hutchinson March 7th, 2003 07:37 PM

manual settings for best sharp picture quality using gl2

What do you recommend?

Brian Bauer March 7th, 2003 10:00 PM

GL2 for lefties?

Getting ready to make the GL2 plunge...
And one of my concerns is that I'm very left-handed.
Michelangelo, Julius Caesar, Al Capone, Napoleon, me, you?
How easy/difficult is it for southpaws?
Thanks!
brian