GL / XM assorted posts, 2003 - Page 13 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old March 10th, 2003, 01:26 PM   #181
Obstreperous Rex

Please contact me via e-mail, regarding the note in my sig file below -- thanks,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2003, 01:54 PM   #182
Regular Crew

is switching tape formats gonna be a problem?

Hi everyone, I just got my Canon GL2 from zotz on friday, so ive been pretty excited the last few days. I know people say not to switch tape brands because of different lubrications that can gum up the heads. So my quiestion is this..is there a difference between recording and playback? I only plan to record on panasonic DVM63MQ tapes but until i can afford a deck my gl2 is gonna have to serve double duty. Will using different brands of tapes in vtr mode cause the same problems that it does in record mode?

Thanks in advance,
Brian
Brian Maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2003, 04:41 PM   #183
Wrangler

For purposes of tape deposit problems, record and playback are the same, and sitting in pause is worse for tape wear.

However, because signals are weaker, dirty head problems will likey appear during playback before they appear as a poorly recorded signal in record mode.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2003, 04:16 AM   #184
Regular Crew

GL2 Matte Box

What matte boxes will work with the GL2? I really like the Chrosziel DV 4x4 Matte Box but i dont think it will fit due the the mic on the GL2.

Thanks
Brian
Old March 11th, 2003, 04:20 AM   #185
Regular Crew

thanks for the reply
Old March 11th, 2003, 02:46 PM   #186
Inner Circle

If you want the sharpest pictures from your lens, avoid the smallest apertures like the plague. Be much more afraid of f11 than f1.6, wide open.

The best quality will be at f4, where the vignetting will have dissapeared (and all lenses vignette the image at wide apertures) and you'll still be a long way from the debilitating effects of diffraction. Cameras with small chips suffer greater diffraction losses, so beware.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2003, 10:02 PM   #187
New Boot

GL2 New User Questions

Hi
I am about to buy a GL2 and have a couple of quick questions. I do a lot of wildlife photography and was thinking of getting the Sony 1.7 multipler lens that I have seen recomended here, is that a good choice? Also I understand that I will need a shotgun mike and have read the reviews but as a newbie will the Canon MC50(I think) do the job to start with? Last and maybe most important what editing software would you recommend. I have been trying Pinacle Systems Studio 7, 8 etc for the last year with my Sony Micromv with very little success. I am not sure if it is just because mv being a new format or if Pinacle just stinks. Also any other recommendations for addons or accessories would be greatly appreciated, tapes to use filters etc.

Thanks again

Tim
Tim D Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2003, 12:31 AM   #188
Regular Crew

take a look

if you haven't seen it yet, check out http://www.lafcpug.org/review_shotgun_mic.html for a look at three other mics. I assume you are referring to the DM-50. For wildlife, I'd think you'd want something more directional than the DM-50.
Old March 12th, 2003, 08:48 AM   #189
Wrangler

You can also search this site for shotguns as they have been discussed at great length. It will also give you tips on how to best use them.

There are a number of NLE packages to choose from. If I were guessing at your price range, you might want to look at Cinestream. It might not be available in very many places since Discreet is planning to incorporate it into their more expensive packages. I have seen it listed for as little as $99.

After that, I think Vegas 4 is considered among the best. Another popular NLE is Premiere.

There are also offerings from Canopus which are highly regarded. Good product with good hardware.

For quick answers try our Search!
To see me and Rob Lohman click here
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2003, 04:22 PM   #190
New Boot

GL2 - Warranty

Hi,

So I'm thinking about buying a GL-2 from an individual on E-bay (not a powerseller). So the camera is only a couple months old. How does the Cannon, Manufacturer warranty work. Will I be covered if something breaks? Do I need a receipt from this person?

Thanks.
Chris Wax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2003, 05:17 PM   #191
Obstreperous Rex

Mmm, probably best to call 1-800-OK-Canon and drill through the menu until you get a live human being. The warranty is one year parts and labor if purchased through an authorized Canon dealer. For private purchase, you'll need to make sure the original warranty card is included, for you to fill out and send in. If the camera is used, or new from an unauthorized dealer, then probably no warranty. If a Canon warranty card comes with the GL2, then it's probably no big deal. Best to call Canon and make sure, though. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2003, 12:20 AM   #192
New Boot

dioptric lens for GL2?

Does anyone make a dioptric lens for the GL2? You know, to be able to focus at two separate distances, one on either side of the screen, like in "All the President's Men," or the scene in "Pulp Fiction" where Ving Rhames chases Bruce Willis.
Fred Beukema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2003, 03:38 AM   #193
Regular Crew

I don't know the answer your question but I've been contemplating trying to do one of those shots by composting two images in post. I'll have to have the cameras stationary though, but it shouldn't be too hard to do.

BTW Brian DePalma's films have quite a few of these shots
Brian Huey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2003, 08:41 PM   #194
New Boot

Thanks for the info.

Thanks again. I have a trial copy of V V 4 and the Pinacle studio 8 which I am trying and will decide between the two. The mics are a whole different game but the article on shotguns was a big help although I still haven't decided which I will get. I had to order a new computer this week for my software development so I got a Dell workstation with the new 3 gig processor 1.5 gig of ram, an 80 and a 120 gig drives and an ATI Fire GL X1 video card so I am all set for editing. Once I am used to the camera I will look at the accessories.
Tim D Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2003, 08:36 PM   #195
Outer Circle

Maybe there's something wrong with the tape, or the cam's tape mechanism.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders