GL / XM assorted posts, 2003 - Page 18 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old April 14th, 2003, 02:47 PM   #256
Warden

Mini Disk is a good idea as a safe guard. Is your wireless system VHF or UHF? VHF is prone to interference. Anything from CB radio's to microwave ovens to cordless phones can cause problems. I doubt you would of had that problem with UHF unless there was an electric component that failed.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2003, 03:21 PM   #257
Capt. Quirk

I have the Azden wr22 setup, and have never had problems with it. I guess the antennas are extremely fussy with these units, and need to be set the way the instructions say.
K. Forman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2003, 04:49 PM   #258
Wrangler

SA568 or SA600? Low end looks like a fast falloff below 200 Hz as well. Also, the 1600 ohm impedance at hypercardoid setting is a bit on the high side for use with the GL1, which has 600 ohm input. That said, it may work OK, but as a minimum the effective output will be less than expected due to the mismatch.

http://www.nrgresearch.com/sa568.htm
http://www.nrgresearch.com/sa600.htm
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2003, 09:25 AM   #259
Regular Crew

GL2 - Automatic shutoff Override ?

Is it possible to keep the camera from shutting down when i'm in camera mode?

Somehow to over ride the film head protection setting from automaticaly shuting off after 5 minutes of being on?
Old April 15th, 2003, 09:37 AM   #260
Major Player

Manual, page 36.

You can't stop the recorder from shutting off but you can change the setting so the camera stays on and only the recorder shuts down, as opposed to everything shutting down. When shutting down only the recorder, camera settings are retained.
Will Fastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2003, 09:46 AM   #261
Major Player

In setup under VCR setup, change the PWR SAVE mode from "shut off" to "VCR Stop". This will leave the camera powered up but still protects the head.
Rob Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2003, 10:03 AM   #262
Regular Crew

thank-you

I appreciate that as i have been trying to get to know the camera and it keeps me turning it on and off -lol-

Thanks again.
Old April 16th, 2003, 04:07 PM   #263
Tourist

GL2 & Shure XLR

I have an older Shure with XLR connector (round ball type), but do not know which model. Don't know much about mics. Will this mic work with the mic input of the GL2, and is there a special cable adapter to do this? Thanks. JH
Joseph Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2003, 08:46 AM   #264
Regular Crew

ND filter On/Off ++ Reveresed, View Screen not Showing Menu?

Hello All,

#1. Im realy curious as to what exactly this ND filter is for. It seems to go very dark when I press this button and the manual says to use it when it is very bright outside. Does this compisate for the light with regards to the iris? Im not sure what this is. Can someone give me a good lamens terms of the use for this and when?

# 2. Also, why is it that when i flip the view screen around that I can't work with menu settings? Is there a way to show it when the view screen is reversed?

Thank-you for your comments.
Old April 17th, 2003, 11:04 AM   #265
Regular Crew

nd filter

The ND filter is an internal neutral density filter. It cuts down the amount of light the camera receives so you can shoot in bright light. The camera will tell you when you need to use it by putting up a message and it will also tell you when you need to add more filtration beyond the ND filter if it is too bright for the first ND filter. The manual explains it. Can't help with the other issuee...
Old April 17th, 2003, 11:11 AM   #266
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Jason,
To my knowledge, no, the full menu displays cannot be activated on the LCD when it's rotated. Note, though, that the viewfinder -is- active when the LCD screen is rotated, so you can work with the camera's menus through the eyepiece.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2003, 11:52 AM   #267
Regular Crew

How I hold my GL2 w/MINI ROVER

Sorry it took me so long everyone. I have been a busy guy. Here is the Pictures I promised you Grazie, And everyone else out there who is interested in the MINI ROVER. This is a great accessory for the GL2, I don't do handhelds without it anymore!

You can check out the pictures here:
http://image1ex.villagephotos.com/2231890.jpg

Have a great Day. If you have any questions.... please don't hesitate to ask.

Tustin Larson
tlarson@cathedralcity.gov

ATTENTION ALL NEW GL2 OWNERS
Have you seen the Title Mix Function Video??? It is very informitive. You can find it on the Son of Watchdog Page, or look for the thread in this forum.
Tustin Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2003, 01:28 AM   #268
Old Boot

Ah! Soooo That's How!

Tustin - Thank You! - I'm assuming you put the ext mic in a gizzmo on top of the Rover handle - within a separate shoe? This must taqke it outside of the "reach" of the WD Angle lens - Or does the lamp go in here?

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2003, 05:27 PM   #269
Regular Crew

Yes, I usually use the EXT. Mic in the ROVER shoe. And the light on the Camera shoe. I have found that this setup works best for me personally. If you have any suggestions or comments, please let me know. I am always open for criticism.

Have a good weekend.

Tustin Larson
Tustin Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2003, 12:45 AM   #270
Major Player

NP type battery for the XM-2

I'm just repeating what someone asked on another forum, hopefully I can convey the message back to him. Though I am curious to know as well:

"I wonder if anybody ever saw a gadget to be attached to a Canon GL/XM machine that functions as a sort of click-on between camera and battery that makes it possible to use NP instead of BP batteries?"

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders