GL / XM assorted posts, 2003 - Page 19 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old April 21st, 2003, 11:01 AM   #271
New Boot

EW112P and MA 200 not working

I got my EW112p over the weekend and couldn't make it work with MA 200. It works fine with the mini jack.

I read both manuals and believed I got all the cables the right way: Audio 1, MIC input, etc.

The only thing I can think of is that when I ordered the XLR cable CL100, they told me it was out of stock and recommended me a KORDEX cable instead. Maybe only the CL100 cable works with EW112p?

Please help me solve this problem. Thanks.
Old April 21st, 2003, 05:38 PM   #272
Wrangler

GL2 or XL1?
Please be more precise about your cable routing and switch and menu settings?
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2003, 08:03 PM   #273
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Can you be more specific concerning "NP" batteries? The Canon BP series batteries (and compatibles) produce 7.2v.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2003, 07:11 AM   #274
New Boot

Don. thanks for your reply. I called Sennheiser yesterday and they told me that their XLR cable is wired differently than other companies'. I am going to return the KORDEX cable to MVP Audio and Video from whom I got the not very helpful recommendation. I hope the system will work after I get Sennheiser's CL100 cable. I'll let you know.
Old April 23rd, 2003, 05:15 AM   #275
Tourist

Motor Sport

Hi

I'm a bit of a XM2 newbie and need some advice on camera settings when videoing motor sport events and similar.

I've done some work with JetSki racing with a Sony PC100 which I also own, but only in auto mode and have been more than happy with the results when burnt to DVD via Prem 6.5, Matrox RT.X100 & Sonic DVDit SE.

I recorded some gokart racing at the weekend with my new XM2, mounted on a tripod and in grown-up (Manual) mode. Manual focus & Zebra stripes were turned on. I only adjusted the aperture settings leaving the shutter & gain settings alone.

Back home and into Premiere. The results didn't look too good. All panned and action shots looked a bit blurred. Anyway, burn DVD @ 8mbs CBR and check out on big screen - argh - awful, looks like every driver is wearing 2 crash helmets or worse.

I guess maybe I should have gone for the 'Tv' mode and changed the shutter speed - but I'm not too sure - the're too many buttons to press on this cam and the viewfinder doesn't make these problems easy to spot.

So help - any suggestions as a good starting point for cam settings for this type of vid?

Also searching thru this forum I see that OIS should be turned off when using a tripod - would this have made any difference?

Thanks for any help

Adrian
Adrian Brunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2003, 08:48 AM   #276
Regular Crew

You shoot in Frame mode?

I prefer the normal mode (interlaced), Shutter 1/50. Then I de-interlace in software.

Stay in Manual, leave Gain to 0dB. You can use an additionnal Neutral Filter (small aperture tends to blur a little the image), I have a B&W 102 (2 stops). Set the Zebra to 100% and don't over expose (You can over expose the sky, but never the subject).

You can leave the OIS on all the time. It is optical, not electronic.
Marc Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2003, 11:11 AM   #277
Contributor

Wireless Mic Receiver Attached to GL-1?

I had such good luck with the recent question about my shotgun mike that I thought I'd try one about my wireless. I have a Samson UM1 UHF Series One receiver that I'd like to mount someplace on my GL-1, particularly during interview situations, both on and off the tripod. This is the same wireless receiver that the manufacturer pictures mounted on the tape access door of the XL-1 in all of its magazine ads. Is anybody doing this with the same or a comparable wireless, or is the camera just too small. Any ideas on how or where to mount it? The unit and its Sony ECM-44 lav works great for interviews and I'd like to use it with the GL.
Jim Treganza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2003, 01:53 PM   #278
Major Player

Jim,

I have a mount that does just what you are describing that I use with my GL2. Had to have it fabricated because I couldn't find anything that would work well. Let me know offline if you would like photos/info.
Rob Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2003, 07:37 AM   #279
Regular Crew

XM2 Still Picture Quality

Hi Guys

I have recently bought an XM2 (I live in Australia) and found that the still pictures look like there's a slight solarization effect applied to them. I am using fine mode, high quality. Has anyone else come across this?

Thanks heaps
Tim
Tim Ashbrooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2003, 12:59 PM   #280
Major Player

GL2 in auto mode

In the auto mode the GL2 could be better for daytime video. I have seen this more often than not. Check the last 2 pics here:

http://homepage.mac.com/bhardy3/PhotoAlbum34.html

I have not included a frame in sunlight mode yet but intend to, as I am very impressed with the video in sunlight setting. Too bad it's raining today...
Bill Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2003, 01:15 PM   #281
High School Student

Yeah. It appears that the 2nd one is just saturated more. Still looks better though.
Alex Knappenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2003, 08:56 PM   #282
New Boot

camera mounted mic receiver

I use an azden wireless lav mic receiver that has an accessary shoe attatchment on it. It works out quite nicely as I don't have to worry about trailling cords, and it runs off a 9v battery. Now I do still have to use a 1/4' - 1/4' (or is it " for inch?) cord to the mic in on the camera, but that is a small worry. This set up works wonderfully for recording wedding audio with my gl2, and even better with the 4 channel audio of the XL-1. Hope that was what you were talking about.

Jesse
Jesse Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2003, 09:54 PM   #283
Capt. Quirk

I'm with Jesse on this. I have the same setup, azden wr-22 and a GL1. On the few occasions I recorded the audio into the cam, this was how I did it. I'm sure there is an accessory shoe attatchment for your reciever.
K. Forman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2003, 01:04 PM   #284
Regular Crew

Little clip I made today...

Just messing around in Premiere and made this. Tell me what you think.

http://www.visital.com/random/catseye.mov

Ryan Krga
Ryan Krga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2003, 01:39 PM   #285
Regular Crew

I will explain it when I get back, sort of in a rush right now, sorry.
Ryan Krga is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders