GL / XM assorted posts, 2003 - Page 20 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old April 27th, 2003, 03:23 PM   #286
Major Player

It's a good concept and it looks like the editing went fine.

The one thing that caught my eye is that the fan footage looks like it was shot handheld style and the fan circles and shakes as it twirls. That seemed pretty random. I think that a well executed tripod movement with a slow push into the fan would make it look really sharp. Then the fan would crawl in a slow, deliberate movement from the bottom left (or right) of the frame to meet the cats eye. Make it look like it was meant to be.

Ben Lynn
Ben Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2003, 12:32 AM   #287
Old Boot

Auto:Manual Focus Lock or Not!!

Apologies if this has been covered before.

After spending time with a Vid-Pro friend, and he asking me if I could "lock" MF when I power down I said I didn't know. Did a search here on our site - no show. Well nothing like direct action eh? - I tried this:

1 Switched on XM2
2 Slide to Camera/Tape
3 Selected MF
4 Switched off - MF disappeared on re-switch on - reverted to Auto focus, as expected.

Okay, repeated, but this time flicked lever to "Lock". Motors and drive switch off, viewfinder goes black. Reboot XM2 - MF still in VF!!

This appears to be in contradiction to XM2 manual:

"If you slide POWER switch to OFF or [ this is the killer point! ] the standbay lever to LOCK, the camcorder resets to auto focus" . . . well seems like the MF viewfinder info doesn't know or hasn't read the manual!

Interested? - Seems like a very useful function/feature. Means that at least the MF settings - maybe - aren't zapped. This means that I can keep the XM2 locked and OFF via the LOCK and save battery - not forgetting the less drive wear and roller stuff.

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2003, 01:17 AM   #288
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Indeed, Graham, the "Lock" switch (on the GL2 and XL1s) is very handy for powering-down while preserving your settings (such as manual focus). It acts like "sleep" on a computer.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2003, 01:30 AM   #289
Old Boot

Ken - Perhaps someone should inform Canon Manual editor - yeah?

Thanks for the confirmation.

Ken, I'm getting busy to do my Horizon/Paralax test - see other post. Chris Hurd is supporting me on this one - but your feedback would be appreciated too.

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2003, 01:38 AM   #290

Yes, I've been following it.

Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

Old May 1st, 2003, 08:16 PM   #291
Regular Crew

Dubbing one chip to one chip

I've read some posts here stating that dubbing from a three chip to a one chip will not cause any loss in the quality. Would it be correct for me to assume that dubbing from a one chip cam to another one chip cam via firewire using a mini dv tape that was recorded on a three chip will still not result in any quality loss?

Thank you,
Tony
Tony Marino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2003, 08:20 PM   #292
High School Student

Of course it won't affect the quality. The imaging system (lens and ccd) have nothing to do with transfering the footage...
Alex Knappenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2003, 11:09 PM   #293
Major Player

What's the best method for recording sound during a video shoot???

Lets say you want to shoot small films or what-not. What mics are good at doing that. Are booms the best for getting what is only onscreen, so maybe you can still direct the actors but without being heard like in the movies???

Or, wireless, or good zoom mics???
Old May 1st, 2003, 11:21 PM   #294

Bob,
I recommend getting a copy of Jay Rose's book "Producing Great Sound for Digital Video". It provides far more practical tips and information than possible in this thread.

Old May 2nd, 2003, 10:47 PM   #295
Trustee

Yes Tony as Alex said the lens and CCDs have nothing to do with transfering the footage from one camera to another. Footage transfered from one camera to another over firewire bypasses the imaging array and goes straight to the VCR section, you lose no quality as the footage is transfered as 1s and 0s.
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2003, 08:48 PM   #296
Major Player

Optex .3x fisheye lens

Has anyone had any experience with this lens? I used to have the Raynox MX3000 fisheye and it was pretty good for skateboarding videos. I was wondering how the Optex would compare to this or the Century?

Thanks in advance
Joe Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2003, 02:24 PM   #297
Regular Crew

The Century is a big step up from the MX3000, price and quality wise. If you are filming skateboarding videos you want to make sure your capable of taking care and using this lens. I have heard many stories of boards flying and shattering the lens. With the Century you are going to get a lot more distortion and a wider angle of view. You are also going to get a noticable gain in weight with the lens on your camera. This is the premier lens for skateboard filming and is worth every penny in my opinion, but the decision is yours.
Ryan Krga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2003, 07:28 AM   #298
Tourist

DM 50 Directional Stereo Mic

Hi again,

I´m still struggling to acheive a better sound with my new GL2..

Anyone tried out the DM 50 Mic from Canon?

How would it work for one-man interviews for documentaries?

Are there any other manufactures to consider as well?

Thanks again from Barcelona,

Anna
Old May 6th, 2003, 09:36 AM   #299
Major Player

Viewfinder issue?

I've finally had a chance to give the new GL2 a workout and have a question/possible problem -

The viewfinder seems to be really shifted to the cool end of the spectrum. The LCD is fine, and what I have viewed on a TV is fine but the viewfinder really pushes the blues. For example, a hummingbird shot in sunlight showing a blue gorget when it should have been violet and an overall blue cast to everything in low light (but not so low as autogain kicks in).

Is this normal or a defect?
Jeff Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2003, 12:34 PM   #300
Major Player

I don't know about the blue shift but overall I'm pretty disappointed with the viewfinder as a whole.

On my camera's viewfinder the color is oversaturated and it never seems like the picture is very crisp (yes I've used the adjustment knob).

Canon made a mistake by making the viewfinder color and it would have been a lot more useful if it were black and white.

Ben Lynn
Ben Lynn is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders