GL / XM assorted posts, 2003 - Page 22 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old May 12th, 2003, 01:17 PM   #316
Major Player

For the web you might want frame mode (that way it is deinterlaced and better for computer monitors). If you might want to extract stills then use frame mode. Otherwise, and especially for video, use movie mode. The best way to find out what works for you is trial and error.

Some tips on the teleconverter -
1) You were experiencing what is known as vignetting. As you found out, it goes away once you get zoomed in far enough.

2) Finding birds with the teleconverter on can be a bit&*. You will likely have to zoom out, find the bird, then zoom in. This is a time when I REALLY wish zoom and focus were on the lens rather than just focus.

3) Tripod use is a must. Moreover, ANY movement around the tripod will be transmitted to the camera even with the stabilizer on. So, make sure you run the video for a few seconds before and after the footage you want until you can get your hands away from the camera. The heavier the tripod probably the better. One thing to watch out for is being set up on a boardwalk. People walking on the boardwalk transmit vibration through the wood, through the tipod and you get minor camera shake (carbon fiber might be better here).

4) It is tempting to stay zoomed in tight on the bird or just part of the bird. This is what I call the Questar view. On the other hand, following the bird becomes more difficult then. Consider backing off a bit on the zoom, the bird will still be impressive even if it isn't just its head.

5) Manual focus will serve you better than autofocus.

6) Consider heading out to the local zoo for practice. You will quickly learn that bird feeders are your friend if you want good, long shots with the teleconverter on.

Good luck.
Jeff Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2003, 06:33 AM   #317
Old Boot

GL2 S/w Downloads ?

What are and do I need the computer s/w on Canon's site? Here's the link:

http://www.canondv.com/downloads/cam..._software.html

There's a driver section for the GL2.
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2003, 07:20 AM   #318
Major Player

once in a while it's just refusing to focus, in perfect light! I don't know why.
OK, maybe I know: the UV filter gets in the macro focus range. Maybe a litle dust on the UV and the bright light just "good" enough to show the dust... I'm not sure.
Cosmin Rotaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2003, 07:31 AM   #319
Contributor

Hi Jeff:

Very helpful information!

I was down at the Plum Island National Wildlife Refuge in Newburyport, MA Sunday morning testing out the 2x. I found
that it opens up a whole new world of shots that I would never consider taking before because of the distance. Most of the birds I shot were ducks or the larger shore birds (Greater Yellow legs, etc..) at a distance using the tripod.

I did notice the camera shake as you push the record button and then put it back in pause mode.

I have also been experimenting with frame and normal mode in with the backyard birds. I'll check out the manual focus.

I took the 2x off when we walked through the tall tree section on the boardwalk when looking for warblers and needing quick reaction time. In the future I'll plan on just staying in one spot with the 2x and tripod and see what I can get for the smaller birds.

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks!

Steve
Steve Urban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2003, 10:05 AM   #320
RED Code Chef

I think those drivers are needed when you want to extract
photos from the memorycard on the camera (if you stored them
there)

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2003, 03:27 PM   #321
Old Boot

Thanx Rob - Yeah, guess so.
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2003, 04:44 AM   #322
Major Player

Gl2/xm2/xv2

Nice dark gray on the japan model, ha?

http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/c.../2002_xv2.html

www.dvworld.com.tw/product/xv2/

http://www.soundweb-asia.com/product...xv2/page_1.htm

http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/t...09/report.html
Old May 15th, 2003, 04:49 AM   #323
Outer Circle

Thanks, Cosmin. Yes, it seems like that only the GL2 for the Japanese market is a different color. Where in Romania do you live?
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2003, 05:08 AM   #324
Major Player

It looks better in dark gray!

I'm in Timisoara.
Old May 15th, 2003, 10:34 AM   #325
Major Player

I prefer this color to the standard they offer in the states and in Europe. Why don't they offer it every where else?
Old May 16th, 2003, 08:19 PM   #326
Regular Crew

auto standy....

is there anyway to turn the auto-standby/automatic turn-off option off on the GL1. and if not...when it starts to beep before it turns off what do I do to keep it from turning off. as far as I know right now the only way to stop it is press the record button.
Luke Gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2003, 04:58 AM   #327
Major Player

I selected the custom key to "STOP" video. So when I need to keep the camcorder on stand by I push the custom key and the video part of the camcorder stops. The rest of the camcorder works.
There is something in the meniu where you can chose if you want the camera to switch off or STOP the video part. I just don't remeber where you can find that...
Old May 19th, 2003, 07:08 AM   #328
Regular Crew

thanks
Old May 20th, 2003, 08:24 AM   #329
Regular Crew

GL1 auto or manual??

I just upgraded from a JVC single chipper to the GL1. So far I love the cam...the overall picture quality is great. Question I have...I mostly do skateboarding films and I was wondering if I should shoot in auto mode or manual mode? Now I don't know much about manual with a camcorder but I have been taking digital stills with a Nikon D100 for sometime now. So...the concept of apeture, shutter speed, and their relationship means something to me. So am I better off filming my skating in Auto or can I get a better picture using Manual? thanks
Old May 20th, 2003, 12:03 PM   #330
Trustee

It depends on how you are shooting. If you are shooting from a stationary position then manual is probably better. If you are shooting from your board then AV or TV mode is probably the go as as you move your exposure conditions change. Generally, I stay well away from auto/green box modes as I always seem to end up with home video looking footage.

One other thing you want for shooting skating is a wide angle or fisheye adapter. If you go with a fisheye, get a good one that gives you a full frame, not one that gives you the terible circle image.
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders