GL / XM assorted posts, 2003 - Page 31 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old July 7th, 2003, 07:36 AM   #451
Regular Crew

oh ok..

thsi is probably stupid but why is it that it cannot use them?
Ryan McCrary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2003, 08:45 AM   #452
Regular Crew

Canon XM2 (GL2) fine adjusment questions...

Hi all, I bought myself XM2 (Pal version of GL2) camera, and I`m more than pleased with it, it`s perfect (if there is such a thing :))...

Well, I`am not very close to Mr. Exposure, Mr. Gain and Mr. Shutter ;) I hope you get me. So I would grately appreciate if anyone could give me some tips on setting them manualy.

Don`t get me wrong, I know WHAT are they by definition, and I know that decreasing exposure will brighten my picture, as well as decreasing the F numbers... I just don`t know what are "normal" values etc. For example, when do you use shutter speed 1/25, 1/50 or 1/1400... Or according to what do you change the F numbers. And what`s with the gain ? Is it something electronical, it obviousely "gains" but does it boosts the grain on the picture also as a side effect, should I turn it all the way to zero and play with exposure and shutter settings as much of the time I can ?

Thankfully, white balance and ND filter I get :)

Oh, please don`t think I`m an idiot, I am not, I just bought this great camera and for a week or so I will have to use it, and I want to learn to do it all manually - believe me, I learn fast ;) So I have a few more questions.

What are your "Color Gain", "Color Phase", "Sharpness" and "Setup Level Values" - what do YOU prefer ? ...and is sharpness also electronically enhanced ? If it is should I turn it all the way down ?

Frame movie mode I won`t touch because I know how subjective that comes, and it`s the one thing I liked the first I tested it... I know, you loose some res, but I found out (that`s the only thing I`ve really done so far :)) that the picture (at least to my eye) is far more superior over deinterlacing - it seems much sharper... Ok, this I like, frames all the way.

Also, the 16:9 is done anamorphically, I like that mucho, but I supose there is a catch somewhere ? Shoot ! What`s the catch ? I know I`ll be better of using the widescreen adapter when I`ll need it, but what`s the catch with in-camera widescreen mode ? To me it looks good, but I somehow have a feeling it`s not...

Ok, this is it... For now :) THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU SO very much for help !!! You are all a life savers !

Why haven`t I found this great forum earlier !
Mike Ostracky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2003, 08:50 AM   #453
Regular Crew

why?

the lens is not removable. as it mentioned, you can buy a wide angle lens to thread onto the existing lens, but the existing lens is not removable.
Old July 7th, 2003, 12:33 PM   #454
Regular Crew

"Choppy" IRIS adjustment on GL2?

Is there any way to "smooth" out the IRIS adjustment on the GL2 in full manual mode?

I have a new DVX100 (not mine) and really LOVE the smooth, dedicated IRIS thumbwheel it has. Perhaps my biggest gripe with the GL2 is the noticeable exposure "jumping" when bumping the aperture up or down. You can't do it while shooting, or if you do the footage is useless and doesn't make a smooth transition in difficult lighting -- whereas the DVX100 makes a nice, smooth transition without breaking a sweat.

The GL2 makes a smooth transistion when in "P" mode automatically -- no signs of "stepping." However, manually adjusting with that hokey thingamabob is a PITA.

Any way around it?
Old July 7th, 2003, 01:21 PM   #455
Old Boot

Here too . .In the UK! Just been doing this in a London Park . . . Jumpy bumpy iris . . .

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2003, 02:02 PM   #456
Old Boot

Hiyah Mike! See that you made it over here from the COW CanonDV site!

You've made it thus far - you've asked a whole bunch of questions - no problem. But to get you going and invite you to take advantage of what has been discussed here over the months the new XM2 has been out - my initial advice is for you to delve in amongst some of the stuff already here - yeah?

The search facilities here are splendid.

Good to see you here at THE House of Fun for the XM2,

Grazie
Old July 7th, 2003, 02:12 PM   #457
Regular Crew

Color Gain, Sharpness, etc.

I was playing with the GL2 the other day, and found the color gain, sharpness, etc. on that menu. Well, I changed the settings to see how far it would go, and it didn't appear to change the image as much as I'd have liked.

Is there any trick to this?
Joshua Badour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2003, 02:14 PM   #458
Regular Crew

nope. no trick (nt)

nt
Old July 7th, 2003, 02:49 PM   #459
Regular Crew

Yeah :)

Yeah, I found some answers... Well, majority... And got some by firther experimenting with camera.

All i all, this is one GRRREAT forum !!!

Like I said before, very informative ;)

Thanks for directing me here.
Mike Ostracky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2003, 04:53 PM   #460
Regular Crew

Dv If

Not sure what button I pushed, but "DV IF" flashes on my LCD. I'm still learning the ins and outs...
Matt Elias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2003, 05:06 PM   #461
Old Boot

Don't know this one. Crawled over my manual just now for you - nope, aint got it here on the XM2.

Grazie
Old July 10th, 2003, 07:57 AM   #462
Regular Crew

If you want to radically change the way the video looks, doing it in post is probably the best option. I did some pretty neat color correction in FCP last night on a random clip I found, to make it look a bit like those darkish de-saturnated music videos.
Benjamin Taft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2003, 04:56 PM   #463
Regular Crew

color correcting footage from gl2 mixed with sony trv900

Hi, everyone. I made the mistake of doing a two-camera shoot of a graduation ceremony with a Sony TRV-900 and a Canon GL-2 and using the auto white balance on both cameras.

I'm editing in Final Cut Pro 3 and have tried playing around with some of the color correction filters (particularly the RGB balance one), none of which I have much experience with, so naturally, I haven't had much success getting the footage to match up.

Just wondering if anyone out there has some tips or can help point me in the right direction...?

Thanks so much.
Krishna
Krishna Narayanamurti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2003, 11:21 PM   #464
Major Player

Which zoom mic is better?

Canon's or Sennheiser or other?

Don't mention any XLR mics...... Just ones that can attach right away.
Old July 10th, 2003, 11:28 PM   #465
Regular Crew

xlr mic?

I'll let those with experience with canon and senn chime in, but most mics can be connected to xlr or mini. Some mics have an attached cable, but most, like my azdens, have a male xlr connector and to that you can attach a cable that ends in another xlr connector or a mini, or I suppose, others. If I'm using my azden shotgun on my camera I probably have it connected to the mini; if I put it on a 20 foot cord, I can connect it with an xlr cable to a beachtek or studio 1 xlr adapter.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders