GL / XM assorted posts, 2003 - Page 33 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old July 12th, 2003, 09:17 AM   #481
Regular Crew

I have been able to get this effect, as long as it is coming from the background forward. I set the focus on the background and stay in manual focus. Then I position the camera, such that it will change the focus to the foreground when I turn on auto focus. It is quicker than might be desired, but this is the only way other than manual that I have figured out with the GL2.
Joe Sacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2003, 08:37 PM   #482
Tourist

Waterfalls

Doing some nature photography of waterfalls with GL2 and polarizer. Anyone have any suggestions on combination of settings/equipment that has good results in yeilding detail in the white water, i.e. ND filter on/off, f/stop, shutter speed. Thanks!
Kevin Shilts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2003, 09:04 PM   #483
Regular Crew

Are you doing stills or video? It sounded like stills.

For white water, you can either be fast or slow. Slow shots of water falls can give a cool dreamy effect. I usually use a polarizer on water if it is bright. You desired shutter speed will factor into using ND filters, etc.
Old July 14th, 2003, 06:02 AM   #484
RED Code Chef

Low shutter speeds will get you that dreamy look, high shutter
speeds give a more crystal clear look where you can see individual
water drops (if you get close enough). Play with the shutter to
see what you get/like/want.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2003, 12:08 PM   #485
New Boot

GL2 in 98 degrees and humidity?

Hi,
I'm bringing my GL2 to College Station, Texas at the end of the month. The temp there is about 90 with humidity (feels like) 98 degrees. I'll be filming outside for several hours than immediately go into an air condition car and/or hotel room. How does want protect the GL2 from this type of weather conditions?

Thanks for any help.
SDiego
Old July 14th, 2003, 02:16 PM   #486
Regular Crew

Generally I try to have something that uses enough themal insulation to slow down the cool down. For example, a hard case with foam, if left closed, will slow down the temerature changes. The moving from a hot/humid to a cold/dry enviroment isn't as bad as going from a cold to a hot/humid environment. This is where the condensation forms.
Old July 16th, 2003, 09:51 AM   #487
New Boot

Head Cleaning Cassettes

Hi,

I was wondering what brand of head cleaning cassettes people recommend for the gl2, and how often they should be used. I've gone through only about 6 or 7 tapes since i got my gl2, and it only flashed the message that the heads were dirty and needed cleaning once, but then went away. I bought a Panasonic head cleaning tape (dry type), but am hesitant to use it because i don't want to damage the heads if it's not necessary. It says to use only when soiled heads are causing a degraded picture. I haven't been getting dropped frames except for once or twice per tape. Oh and if it makes a difference i use sony premiums.

Thanks,

Allen Danze
Allen Danze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2003, 10:38 AM   #488
Regular Crew

dropped frames once or twice per tape??

I'm not sure why you are getting dropped frames on every tape. that seems odd to me. Combine that with the notice you got and I'd personally go ahead and run the tape cleaner. While it's not a great thing to do more than you need to, they are used commonly and when used in accordance with the directions it won't do anything horrible. I doubt (but am not sure) that one brand of tape cleaner is much better or worse than another. I've never heard anyone say differently. tape cleaners do have to be used carefully. It's important to not run them longer than recommended, and to give 10 sec or so of time before running a second time if you choose to do that, and never rewind a tape cleaner. There. That about exhausts my knowledge of tape cleaners.
Old July 16th, 2003, 11:36 AM   #489
Regular Crew

I have heard recommendations, which make sense to me, about using a head cleaner from the same company as the tapes you normally use.
Old July 16th, 2003, 10:54 PM   #490
New Boot

I've used a ZR40 for a year, and my Gl2 for a few months but I've only experienced a dropped frame (on the Gl2) once. Maybe I've been lucky but the description sounds unusual. Once or twice per tape would drive me nuts! I use a Sony head cleaner.
Jason Keene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2003, 01:10 PM   #491
Regular Crew

Re: Settings Reset after Power Off

Hello Brian,

I have been away for a while, but I am very glad you have pointed this feature out. It works like a treat. Thanx for your feedback!

Regards,
Jack
Jack Robertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2003, 04:08 AM   #492
Regular Crew

Fram mode off for slow-mo?

Is it best to switch off frame mode when footage will later be changed to slow motion in post? Or does it not matter?
Justin Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2003, 04:24 AM   #493
Regular Crew

I'd say its probably best to turn frame mode off because it runs at a lower frame rate, so you won't have as many frames than in normal mode to give you a smoother slow-mo.

I think.
Stewart McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2003, 11:52 AM   #494
Trustee

In fact, if your destination footage is 320 x 240, you can get perfect 50% slow motion if you record in interlaced mode because you are acquiring 60 240 line frames per second.

Even in 480 lines though it should be better to be interlaced. You can get perfect 60% slow mo. Your frames would be like this (A, B = fields):

Dest. Frame 1: Source Field 1A, Source Field 1B
Dest. Frame 2: Source Field 1B, Source Field 2A
Dest. Frame 3: Source Field 2A, Source Field 2B
Dest. Frame 4: Source Field 2B, Source Field 3A
Dest. Frame 5: Source Field 3A, Source Field 3B
Dest. Frame 6: Source Field 3B, Source Field 4A
Dest. Frame 7: Source Field 4A, Source Field 4B

etc.

Basically, for slow motion you want as much temporal information as possible, and 60i gives you that.
Peter Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2003, 11:56 AM   #495
High School Student

For slow mo, it's best to use 33% and 66% for NTSC slow motion, since them numbers work the best. :D

With Vegas 4.0 I can slow down to 33% with good results, but you'll notice some quality difference because Vegas has to "make" some extra frames and they aren't as sharp as the originals.
Alex Knappenberger is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders