GL / XM assorted posts, 2003 - Page 48 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old October 13th, 2003, 04:09 PM   #706
New Boot

Turning Off the GL2 Display While Recording

I'm going to be videotaping a holiday ball at a hotel in NY during the holidays. I'll be using my newly purchased GL2 to tape the event. My client wants to take a feed from my camera to a projector which will display the camera feed on two large screens at the front of the room. Is it possible to disable the various displays that are on the gl2 viewscreen so they are not projected. I was just editing a small segment on my computer using the gl2 firewire, and accidentally turned on camera rather than play/vcr. I was horrified to see the display from the camera on a tv I use to help me edit. I'd prefer not to have to purchase a video monitor to loop out of since I've already spent a good deal of money on the camera, tripod, and final cut pro editing software. I hope I'm missing pushing a certain menu to disable the display since the camera is new to me.
Thanks
Donald Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2003, 05:24 PM   #707
New Boot

synch more than 2 GL2's?

I have three GL2's for recording indoor music sessions. I can timesynch two of them using the DV CONTROL function (and then disconnect and move the 'slave' GL2 to a different point in the room--still filming, of course), so that the audio is in synch.

But how do I get a THIRD GL2 in synch with the first one? -- without STOPPING the 'master' (putting it out of synch with the FIRST slave)?

If i just plug the DV CONTROL cable into it (without STOP/START on the Master), nothing happens.

(1) if i plug it in and hit START REC on the slave, will it somehow 'get' the timesynch from the master?

(2) would a firewire (passive) hub work as a "splitter", so that i could hook both slaves up at the same time, and start them both with the same 'start' signal from the master?

(3) any OTHER/BETTER ways to do this?

Thanks
Glenn Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2003, 06:16 PM   #708
Regular Crew

I'm not sure I'm following you... but...

In the System menu (I think) there is a TV Screen or something to that effect option. Turn this off and it will not display the viewfinder info on the remote screen.

I hook up an ext. monitor all the time. You can have the viewfinder data displayed on that monitor, or turn the data off with just a clean picture. Your choice with this option.

Read the manual.
Kevin King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2003, 07:39 PM   #709
Wrangler

Can't speak to the DM-50 specifically, but many moderate priced camcorder mics (e.g., MKE-300, Sony ECM-MS957) have bass roll-off that starts at around 200 Hz.
Old October 14th, 2003, 10:58 AM   #710
Regular Crew

It's easiest to just do it in post if you have more than 2 cameras. Even easier if you are doing live concerts. Get all 3 cameras rolling, have the drummer hit the snare drum for you, or you can do it yourself with permission. You then have a point to line up all 3 tracks at the snare hit and with a few minor tweeks you should be OK.

www.jcmediaservices.com
www.kickbacktracks.com
Royalty Free Video Production Loops!
Jason Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2003, 12:08 PM   #711
Major Player

If you do that type of recording more than once in a while you should invest in a 4 input switcher and mix it live. It will save all that syncing in post and cutting.

Ben Lynn
Ben Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2003, 06:42 PM   #712
Regular Crew

VL-3 with shotgun mike?

Hi All GL/XM2 users..

is there anyway to use the VL-3 light with a 3rd party shotgun mike on the camera? as a VL-3 needs the shoe ontop of the camera, how would I then be able to fix a shotgun mike then?

any advice?

ys
Yow Siang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2003, 07:45 PM   #713
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

You would have to use a bracket, such as the Mini Rover to hold the mic.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2003, 11:00 AM   #714
New Boot

Basson Steady Cam for GL2?

Hello, i'm looking at a steady cam for my GL2 and seem to have found one at a "decent" price:

http://www.bassonsteady.com.ar/shop/productos.asp?id=1

Anyone have experience or heard of the Basson Steady?

Thoughts?

TIA,

Joe
Joe Abeleda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2003, 04:37 PM   #715
RED Code Chef

It's looking the deal, that's for sure. I can't remember someone
mentioning it here though. It is quite hefty in the price tag, but
then again, so are the glidecams...

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2003, 09:31 AM   #716

white screen on LCD and viewfinder?!?

i dont know if anyones had this problem before or not but maybe 3 times out of 10 when i turn my gl2 on, the viewfinder is completely white... all the menu options and things you would expect to see on the screen are still there but there is no image. once i turn it off and turn it back on again the problem goes away... my only worry is that this might lead to a bigger problem in my camera, has anyone experienced this?
Old October 18th, 2003, 11:06 AM   #717
Warden

If it's still under warranty send it in. The performance you're describing is not normal.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2003, 12:00 PM   #718

the canon people were so cool about honoring my warranty despire the fact i had lost the receipt and the people i bought it from (bridgeview photo) are under fbi investigation for fraud and were impossible to contact for another receipt...
the way they handled everything makes me real happy to be a canon owner.
Old October 19th, 2003, 09:31 PM   #719
Regular Crew

GL-1 vs GL-2 build quality

I just purchased in new GL-2 after owning a GL-1 which I purchased in 2000. The
new GL-2 seems like it is made a lot cheaper. First the body seems to be made of a cheaper material than the GL-1. It seems a lot lighter than the GL-1. The "wheels" especially the select and exposure wheels are a joke. Most of the important functions are now menu driven and dependant on this select wheel which requires a sharp finger nail or pen to push on the fly. The main power switch gives you the feel this camera may not even last a year even under gentle treament. The hot shoe has no cover exposing it to all problems. Even the Canon shoulder strap is crap compared to the GL-1 strap. I made sure I looked underneath to make sure the camera was even still produced in Japan. This thing has the look and feel of a product made in China. Canon should be ashamed at selling the GL-2 for GL-1 prices with the build quality drop off that has occured. I guess their service department needs more business which is engineered into this camera.
John Dimasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2003, 11:11 PM   #720
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Well, I suppose to each his own (opinion).

I have owned both cameras and did not have any of the reactions that you expressed. (The straps have been identical in nearly every one of the 6 models of Canon video cameras I've owned.) None of the primary controls are difficult to use with some practice and familiarity. (None require a pen.)

But if you're that displeased why don't you just return it and get a different camera that feels better to you?

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders