GL / XM assorted posts, 2003 - Page 49 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old October 20th, 2003, 05:25 AM   #721

i agree with ken. if anything i feel the gl2 is better made than the gl1... there is definately a difference in body material between the two but unlike john, who is entitled to his opinion, i think the gl2's construction looks and feels more sound than that of the gl1's
Old October 20th, 2003, 03:26 PM   #722
Obstreperous Rex

It might be surprising to some GL1 owners that the GL2 is so much comparatively lighter in weight. However, both have a magnesium alloy frame. Despite being consumer products, they'll hold up as long as they're treated with care.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2003, 08:50 PM   #723
Regular Crew

blown pixel on my gl-1. how much to fix it?

i just noticed a blown out pixel on my gl1? any idea on how much to fix it? should i just sell it and buy a new camera? i dont know if anyone would even want a gl1 with a blown pixel, but for my work i can not have it and need to sell it or get it fixed asap.
Alfred Tomaszewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2003, 08:58 PM   #724
Obstreperous Rex

Alfred,

Either of the two Canon service centers (see this page for contact info) can repair a hot pixel. They'll give you an estimate, and please let us know what they tell you. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2003, 03:11 AM   #725
Old Boot

Anybody for Black 'n White E/P or LCD?

Well, we got this manual focus ring. We got Zebra Bars. We got full colour LCDs and Eyepieces . . . why can't we have BnW displays?

I'd find this a real boon to my rubbish focussing . . well I aint that bad . . . but really!

It can't be much more than a switch or Menu thingy? Canon have gone to the whole schmuzzl with zebra bars, this has GOT to be more complex . . . we got 3ccd, we got the 3 colours . . why not make more of what got and have a BnW option too? Do I really have to buy an extra lil BnW Lcd external and connect it through the BNC connector to get BnW? - Well, really Mr. Canon, c'mon1 I tell you what, having this function available would make me more confident about focussing - yeah? If the XM2 has relatively a harder job of low light level hassles, having the focus option the way I describe would make me a better cameraman. I love the XM2 . . please, please, please give the option to go BnW with one of the on board monitors . . pretty please!

. . now someone is gonna tell to RTFM! . . .I don't think so . . if it is in there . . don't I feel the Numbnutz . .

hey ho . . . .

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2003, 05:05 PM   #726
Woodyfang

problems recording VCR to XM2

hiya

Today I decided to test the AV in/out socket on my XM2 by using it as a linear edit deck. i'm putting together a simple promo of a theatre performance, and just need to record some clips from my domestic PAL VHS player onto the XM2. (I will eventually be paying someone to transfer the DV master edit onto NTSC DVD for worry-free playback in the states)

Here's the problem:

When I make all connections etc. and play video from the VCR, the audio comes thru fine but the only video I get is a blank screen. I have also tried connecting TV to the XM2, and get the same problem. Whatever channel is selected on the TV, the audio comes thru fine to the XM2, but no video, only blank screen.

I am using SCART output from TV, and a SCART converter so I can use my A/V cable into XM2. All cables work fine.

strange quirk - audio only comes thru when I connect to RCA (phono) audio outputs from VCR. It does not come thru when I use the scart output socket on VCR, SCART converter.

This leads me to think something is weird with the video signal a PAL VCR sends to the camera from the scart socket. Have tried changing channels etc. on VCR but no luck. Have also tried a different, older VCR, same problems.

I've followed the instructions in the manual TO THE LETTER and still no loooooove....

any suggestions? I really hope my Analog Video input isn't screwed for some reason... this is the 1st time I've tried to use it in the year I've owned the camera. I tried something similar hooking a security camera to an XL1s last year, it worked fine.

I'd really appreciate any suggestions from people who are used to recording analog video etc. I really hope I wont have to resort to editing on VHS cos the resulting DVD will look soooooooooooooooooooooo crappy...

thanks for taking the time to wade thru the above, I hope I was specific enough

Hagop

Lighting Cameraman / Director / Producer / Music Producer / DJ / Web Designer / Visualist / Media Student / IT Tutor / Digital Artist

W00dy See, W00dy d00...
Hagop Matossian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2003, 07:22 PM   #727
Major Player

Are you using the SCART adapter that came with the camera?

The one that comes with the camera only works one way IN from RCA - OUT to SCART. (At least in my case).

In electronic shops they sale RCA to SCART adapters that have a switch IN/OUT that changes the flow of the signal.

That solved me the same problem, and I few others I know too.
Old October 22nd, 2003, 03:32 AM   #728
Regular Crew

Frame mode

Hello.

I am working with my GL2. I like the frame mode very much so I never shot in a normal mode.

My question is: Is frame mode on a GL2 close to the dvx100? I mean - I like cinematic, artistic look. I also know that in this case Pan is better, but if I put for example Magic bullet plugin on a footage taken with GL2, recorded in very good conditions with good light, camera movement, small depth of field etc.?

I have read that Mr.Barry Goyette have the both of these models...

Thanx...

Marko Zorec
Marko Zorec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2003, 03:37 AM   #729
Outer Circle

Quote:
Is frame mode on a GL2 close to the dvx100?
It would be close to the DVX's 30P mode, but not as sharp.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2003, 08:49 AM   #730
Tourist

No Sound

Could anyone give me any info on why I cannot get sound from my GL-1? I have followed directions in the manual and I still can't get sound - even when transferred to NLE - no sound. Please help. The same problem with 2 of my cameras.
Old October 22nd, 2003, 09:34 AM   #731
Regular Crew

Sharon:
  • When you play the tape in VCR mode, can you hear anything through headphones or speakers on any of you cameras?
  • If you are using the same cable when trying to transfer to your NLE, and multiple cameras are not getting sound, I'd suspect the cable rather than the cameras.
  • Finally - I had a similar situation that was driving me nuts when I finally realized I had plugged things into the wrong holes! It's probably not the case, but you might want to double check for user error just in case...
Old October 23rd, 2003, 01:48 PM   #732
Regular Crew

Rubber protective strips - temporary removal?

Sometimes it would be nice to TEMPORARILY remove the protective rubber strips on the rear and side of the gl2 when attatching accessories during the shoot - such as monitor out, headphones, microphone, ect.

Right now I just leave the rubber cap flopping - but along with a strap of some sort, a hanging lense cap, and my hand in the jumble somplace - it's just gotta go.

I pulled on them once and wiggled them around, thinking maybe they were just held in by a nub inside the hole and would just cleanly pop out, then I can force the nub back into the hole after the shoot to re-attatch. Well, they weren't budging. I felt I was about to break the rubber connecting tie, so I let it be.

Has anyone gotten these things off their camrea by some non-destructive means? I want em' off, but I want to put them back on too for that day I'm shooting in a dust storm on the beach. ;-)
Kevin King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2003, 02:28 PM   #733
Old Boot

. . yeah, Form over Function . . can help on the Lens cap thing though. Look on the rear of the lens cap itself. You will see a clip - yeah? I slip this "through" the first loop on the Velcro Hand strao - neat eh?

But the rubber cover thing . . yup... agree with you . . not thought through. Removal is a one way surgical option . . nah! Not good design at all . .

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2003, 06:06 PM   #734
Tourist

Still No Sound

Thanks for the quick reply. It's the strangest thing - I've checked everything and it appears that all is correctly connected. I can get no sound at all, even with headphones. However, when I plug the firewire into another camera, the sound works fine. I have 4 cameras, two with no sound. I'm baffled.
Old October 23rd, 2003, 06:42 PM   #735
Regular Crew

GL2 Sample Movie - Just a short clip

Does anybody have some GL2 footage I could see...I really only want about 5-10 seconds but I'm trying to use it to compare camcorders since no shops near me have a GL2 to look at. If possible do you have any uncompressed footage that's short? I've noticed that most picture quality looks about the same if its converted to wmv which seems to be the new standard in showing movie clips now (at least it is for my friends and others I know)! Thanks a BUNCH!!

Tim
Tim Frank is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders