GL / XM assorted posts, 2003 - Page 50 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old October 23rd, 2003, 06:59 PM   #736
Regular Crew

I dont know if there is a MAC store near you but the one buy be carrys gl2's I never knew it till i went in there. just trying to help
Joel Ruggiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2003, 08:18 PM   #737
Major Player

If you send me an email address I'll email you some raw full size clips. If you dont have a fast connection however nevermind.
Rob Easler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2003, 04:40 AM   #738
Wrangler

Please give a very detailed statement of what you have recorded, how it was recorded (including connectiosn and settings), and how you are trying to play it back.
Old October 25th, 2003, 02:47 PM   #739
Woodyfang

That sounds like the stroke of genius I was looking for. I always forget those converters only work one way.

will try n buy a switching one at my local shop. thanks for the tip!

Hagop

Lighting Cameraman / Director / Producer / Music Producer / DJ / Web Designer / Visualist / Media Student / IT Tutor / Digital Artist

W00dy See, W00dy d00...
Hagop Matossian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2003, 07:34 PM   #740
Tourist

GL2 Microphone Damage

The onboard microphone on my GL2 recently was dropped onto a solid rock surface from about four feet. As you might imagine, the rock won the battle. The microphone surface is damaged and the only thing it will pick up is wind noise. Not your optimal recording scenario.

I can obviously send it into service, but was also thinking of buying a DM-50 microphone, which is probably cheaper than getting it fixed.

There aren't any local dealers that sell the microphone. I hate to buy it unless I know it will work. Should it function even though the onboard microphone doesn't?

Everything else seems to be working with no problem.
Phil Goble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2003, 07:53 PM   #741
Obstreperous Rex

Phil

The only question is, did the accessory shoe mount on top of the built-in mic suffer any damage and does it still work? Without a trip to the service center, the only way to really find out is to plug in the DM-50 mic and find out. Or plug in a VL-3 onboard light, it's only $50 and very handy. If the hot shoe electrical connections aren't damaged, then the DM-50 should work well for you, barring any other internal damage. I recommend you get the cam to a service center anyway as soon as it's convenient for you. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2003, 01:40 AM   #742
New Boot

mic attachment

Hello, I just have my me66 for my xm2
Have anyone a picture, so that I can see how to attach the mic without using the acc shoe

Thanks Erwin
ebfkolman@home.nl
Old October 29th, 2003, 04:48 PM   #743
Regular Crew

GL-2 "freezes up"

A few weeks ago I was shooting a wedding when all of a sudden I lost all control of my GL-2...the zoom would not work, pause/run did not work. The viewfinder indicated 'rec." but the counter was not moving. I saw that the cassette was moving but wasn't sure what (if anything) was being recorded. I tried powering down and then powering back up but same result. Finally, I removed the battery - re-installed the battery and everything went back to normal.

Later on I viewed the tape and it was recording OK during this 'frozen' period. My question - has this happened to anyone else? I have used the camera since then with no problems. After I finished with the tape I re-recorded over the section where the camera froze and it was fine so It wasn't the tape. Any thought on what happened would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Herm Stork
herm@videoworks.biz
Herm Stork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2003, 03:47 AM   #744
Major Player

Herm,

I had the exact same problem, thought it was the battery, changed it but nothing happened. Reverted back to the half used battery and all was well again, I put this down to me being a newbie at the time.

Maybe not???
Old November 3rd, 2003, 03:05 PM   #745
Regular Crew

Rebate?

Has anyone received their rebate check from Canon? How long did it take?
Kelvin Kelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2003, 03:52 PM   #746
New Boot

GL2 Custom Key

So... what's a custom key? I just purchased a GL2, and the answer eludes me. The manual tells me how to use this feature, but it doesn't tell me what the feature IS! I'm assuming that it's just a quick trick button for certain settings, such as turning the zebra stripes on and off without going through the menus, but I'd like somebody to clear it up for me once and for all. Thanks.
Robert Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2003, 03:55 PM   #747
Major Player

Robert,

Exactly! Don't you love it when instructions almost make sense! It's a user programmable button that you can assign anyone of several functions to. Just a easy way to turn on/off a particular feature without having to scroll through a bunch of menu.
Rob Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2003, 04:35 PM   #748
Old Boot

. . oh yes! The Manual should have come with its own CP key explaining this valuable function. Something along the lines of:

"You wanna film inside a church where you have mixed lighthing and you've been filming on AUTO externally, then this is what your could select, . . . . . . and then assign this to a . . . .

Yeah, drove me mad for some months, I can tell you!!!

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2003, 12:59 AM   #749
New Boot

Just got mine today. Took almost exactly 8 weeks from the day it was sent in.

MS
Michael Sibbernsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2003, 04:04 AM   #750
Regular Crew

Canon logo disapears!?

Hi,

When I started filming voor the first 10 times I first got a "movie" with the words Canon in my viewfinder/ LCD screen.
After +- 10 times using it, the "canon movie" disapears. I now only see a black/gray screen for a few seconds, and than I can get start filming.

Resetting the camera does help, but how can I always see this movie instead of resetting the camera.

Gabriel
Gabriel_Knight is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders