GL / XM assorted posts, 2003 - Page 53 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old November 11th, 2003, 03:38 PM   #781
Major Player

Thanks
Richard Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2003, 01:37 PM   #782
New Boot

Okay and I want to get some depth of field in my video. I was playing with it, but I never got a good DOF yet. What iris settings work good outside for others, just as a reference and you have to tele (zoom) right, wide angle won't give you much DOF.
Erwin van Doorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2003, 02:30 PM   #783
New Boot

Keeping my settings between camera modes

Anyone here know how I can save the manual settings (white bal/exp/etc) between VCR mode and Camera?

I'd like to be able to review my footage with out looing my settings.

Thanks.
Christopher Sexton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2003, 03:21 PM   #784
Major Player

Yes, Zoom-in as much as possible.

Then, open the iris up as far as possible, and use the ND filter on the camera and you will have to add a couple others. This will give you the DOF you are after. I don't think adjusting the white balance will affect DOF at all.
Old November 13th, 2003, 10:14 PM   #785
Regular Crew

Hello Christopher,

I have had the same question a while back and no you cannot save the setting when you power off or go to VCR mode.

The only way to check your footage without loosing your settings is to follow Brian Dickson's suggestion:

Quote:
------------------------------
Depending on how much review you need to do, the record search might do the job, without resetting things. Use the two buttons to the rear of the main power switch. Tapping the "record review" button (the one with the loopback icon) will playback the last 3 seconds and automatically return to your previous record point. You can review farther back or forward by holding down the '-' or '+' buttons. Letting go will re-engage record pause right where the tape is at.
----------------------------

Here is the link to the thread:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11540

Cheers,
Jack
Jack Robertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2003, 08:34 PM   #786
New Boot

Hey Jack...I had been using that, and guess I will keep doing it, but sometimes it's just not enough.

Thanks for the info
Christopher Sexton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2003, 08:45 AM   #787
New Boot

PAL vs. NTSC puchase

Hi...

I have a similar set of considerations, that I'm agonizing over for my camera purchase.

First, Panasonic US assured me that DVX100's (PAL or NTSC) bought from a legit dealer in the US can be serviced here. Unless someone has experience otherwise, I have to assume that this is the case.

As far as editing, I intend to stay entirely in the computer until I need to produce a master for distribution or for DVD. BUT , in this case I would need the services of a post house that has the appropriate equipment (Tape etc) anyway. Since I can't handle this step in production regardless of format, wouldn't I be better off using the PAL DVX100?

I did get hold of a PAL dvx100 to borrow, and shot some footage which came into After Effects fine. I'll next try the same with Final Cut.

If I can work entirely in the computer, is there any point at which it does really become problematic to work from the PAL source? Or do I just do my final output to a particular NTSC format (uncompressed quicktime?)... get my settings right, and let the post house make the master tape etc.

Any ideas , help would be greatly appreciated...
Old November 16th, 2003, 02:54 PM   #788
New Boot

Monroe,
I'm having the same problem with the rewind. This just started, but I've had my camera since March and have had no problems. It's been used quite a bit however.

What ended up being the problem and did you get it fixed?

Thanks.
Old November 17th, 2003, 01:00 PM   #789
Regular Crew

Any features shot with GL2?

I've seen a few shorts done with the GL2, and some stuff was actually quite decent. However, I've never heard of any feature films being shot (indie or commercial) with the GL2. It's always the XL1 or the PD-150, etc.
David Kelvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2003, 06:56 PM   #790
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

That's a good question. Honestly, I don't know of any. The GL2 would pose some challenges for professional dramatic work, most prominently its lack of a professional lens focus control. The Sony PD150 would seem to share the same disadvantage, yet it has been used on quite a few indie features. Ah, but the PD150 has something that the GL2 does not: DVCAM compatibility and pro time code.

So I guess we'll just have to wait to see if anything comes up here.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2003, 01:59 PM   #791
Regular Crew

This is an article about one shot with a GL1: Monsturd

Cheers,
Brian
Brian Huey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2003, 12:51 AM   #792
Tourist

eject cassette on 2 dvcams help

My Canon ZR45 and my Canon ZR 10 both have an eject cassette flashing in the LCD and will not play or record. The ZR45 will eject any tape put in but will not record or play longer than 10 seconds. The ZR10 has a cassette stuck in it. It will not eject it. Is there a way for me to repair on my own? All I need is the know how-or-what is the problem here? Me? Any help would be so great. Thanks Kiel Elligton
Kiel Ellington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2003, 01:05 PM   #793
New Boot

I'd first look hard at why both are exhibiting this problem at the same time. Are you in a humid area, or other demanding environment? Seems fishy to me. Not sure about the error messages with those cameras, but my old Sharp used to say that even in the slightest bit of rain, not necessarily repairable, but worth checking to see if the sensor is off I suppose.

Steve
Steve Luhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2003, 08:47 AM   #794
New Boot

While looking for info on OpTex 16x9 lenses, I found this link to a full length film:

http://doradovillagefilms.com/babysbreath/main.htm

They used a GL2 and the OpTex anamorphic lens. The screens look good, but I feel they could have gussied up the look of their film in post a bit.
Brian Kaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2003, 07:32 PM   #795
New Boot

Need to clean inside of lens asap

I need to get a spec of dust out from behind the first lens plate on my GL2 by tomorrow morning. Any one know how?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders