DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Grizzly Man Doc question (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/57923-grizzly-man-doc-question.html)

Len Imbery January 9th, 2006 09:42 PM

Grizzly Man Doc question

Hi, I just watched the documentary "Grizzly Man" where the subject used a Canon GL2 to film himself as he camped out amongst the bears...
I couldn't help wondering how he charged his batterys??????
Is there some sort of solar charger that might do it? I don't think he had a generator, and if he did it would have taken a lot of gas to keep it going....
Anyone know?
Len

Tony Hall January 10th, 2006 08:22 AM

I think I remember thinking that while watching the movie. He probably just had about 20 or 30 batteries that he brought with him. That would easily last him the time he was there. That's what I would do anyway.

Andrew Khalil January 10th, 2006 11:38 AM

actually, there is a solar powered charger available - the link was posted here a short while ago.
Try doing a search and it should bring up the link if you're interested.

Andrew Todd January 11th, 2006 10:47 PM

i thought the camera looked like a vx... maybe im wrong

Meryem Ersoz January 16th, 2006 03:53 PM

i'm pretty sure it was not a GL2, although i'm not sure exactly what it was, either. i'm guessing vx as well. it made nice video, though, i wonder if herzog treated it at all or not....

Kevin Hodes January 17th, 2006 01:47 AM

Hmmm, apparently Herzog claims Treadwell shot with a single-chip camera:

QUOTE:
R: Technically. Was it digital?

WH: No, everything I shot on celluloid. I’m still a man of celluloid. Treadwell’s footage was shot on a small digital camera, one chip.

http://www.volunteersmag.com/issue01/herzog.html

Meryem Ersoz January 17th, 2006 10:29 AM

TT obviously had more than one camera, otherwise he could not have taken the shots of himself holding his camera. but the one he is holding in the footage of himself is surely a 3-chipper of some sort, it's form factor gives it away, and if i didn't have to return the rental video, i'd take a closer look.

Kevin Hodes January 18th, 2006 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meryem Ersoz
TT obviously had more than one camera, otherwise he could not have taken the shots of himself holding his camera. but the one he is holding in the footage of himself is surely a 3-chipper of some sort, it's form factor gives it away, and if i didn't have to return the rental video, i'd take a closer look.

The camera Treadwell is holding is without a doubt a 3-chip. To me, it looks like every tripod-mounted shot of Treadwell's in the film is shot with a 3-chipper. If the 2nd cam was single-chip, the only time he used it was during hand-held shots where he was running with the camera.

Jim OMalley January 23rd, 2006 11:57 AM

According to the book "The Grizzly Maze" by Nick Jans, Treadwell's "professional grade" camera equipment was donated by Konica Minolta -- and Treadwell did use a gasoline generator to charge his video batteries, at least until the Park Service slapped him with a fine for doing that.

Meryem Ersoz January 23rd, 2006 12:49 PM

TT had a traveling slideshow of still photographs which he toured around the world. i saw him at telluride mountainfilm a couple of years ago, and he was showing slides, not video. so i suppose he was using minolta equipment to shoot stills, but it still doesn't give us any more hints about the types of video cameras he was using. strangely, he was very charismatic and convincing live, although this does not translate well to film/video, where i found him a bit insufferable.

interesting bit about the gas generator, though. another one of those odd timothy treadwell moments...hard to sell yourself as just one-a the bears when you're firing up one of those things.....

Jim OMalley January 23rd, 2006 03:03 PM

I forgot to mention in my earlier post that Nick Jans also refers to Treadwell using a Sony video camera. No mention of model number, though. Judging from the footage that appears in "Grizzly Man," it must have been a 3-chip camera.

Kurth Bousman January 23rd, 2006 04:45 PM

It was vx2000/2100 in the film . He probably had a single chip as a second.Kurth

Bill Grant February 4th, 2006 11:26 PM

VX2000, 1000, and GL2

I just watched this... unbeliveable by the way, but I saw a VX1000 that he was holding in the water, a GL2 as he was running down the hill, and a VX2000 that his girlfriend was holding in her lap when Herzog listened to the last tape (also a GL2 on the table in that scene). I have been shopping for cameras for about 3 solid months. I know these cameras back and forth, and this is what I saw...

That guy was a real nut!

Bill

John E Harris July 24th, 2006 05:00 PM

Watched the movie around 20 mins ago. Def a VX. No canons in sight.

Matthew Harris September 27th, 2008 07:08 PM

the one still photo of him that you see often with him kneeling and a bear is a ways off in the background...in that pic he is holding a sony vx1000...you can see the little window area on the side where the tape compartment is...which is not on a vx2000...on the vx2000 that is where the flip out lcd would be...