WD-58H Quesion at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old January 5th, 2003, 09:03 PM   #1
New Boot

WD-58H Quesion

Hey everyone,

I am planning to purchase a wide angle adaptor, and will probably get the WD-58H for my GL2. I understand that the WD-58H does not have any threads for filters. Is there a way around this? Is it possible/reccomended that I add a filter before putting on the WD-58H? Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks everyone!
Colossians 3:23-24
---
www.phonghuynh.com

Phong Huynh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2003, 10:52 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Filters and the WD-58H

It's possible to put a filter on before the wide angle adapter, and may actually be better. Wide angle lenses tend to have more light fall off at the edges. A filter between the adapter and camera would have a more even illumination in theory. On some of the wide angle lenses I use for large format photography (Schneider Super Angulon 90mm) where I've used the filters in front of the lens, the filter is actually a graduated ND filter with a dark spot in the center to balance the light. Try to use the "slim" filters if you can find them. You can also check out this thread http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...ers+wide+angle for a similar question and it's replies.
my 2 cents
Mark
Old January 5th, 2003, 10:59 PM   #3
Old Boot

I'm doing what you intend - no problemo!

1. Remove exsisting Canon sunshade

2. Gently fit and screw in the new filter - male on camera-side rim - female on external side.

3. Gently fit Canon wide angle lens into fitted filter -slowly does it!

4. Gently fit larger and rather dashing sunshade to the new WD58

The lens is brilliant. Have done quite a bit of internal and extrernal work with it - very pleased! The internal work was of a pub band - very very tight short angle to get all of the band in - the Canon WD58 did it spades!

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2003, 11:31 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks Grazie

I was wondering how well it actuall worked (the WD58) so now I guess I need to just go buy one eh?

Mark
Old January 6th, 2003, 02:32 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Hi Bernard,

Do you have the opportunity to share some footage of the pub band? It would be great to see how the WD works in such an environment.

Thanks,

Dirk
Dirk Goris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2003, 04:37 AM   #6
Old Boot

I'll have to ask the Boys In The Band first. I do have some other - not very good camera work - up on a shared site of Wembley Stadium using the WD if you're interested though?

Grazie
Old January 6th, 2003, 05:49 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Wembley stadium would be great Bernard!
If you don't mind asking the boys in the band for permission I would love to see the indoor results too.

Thanks,
Dirk
Old January 6th, 2003, 05:59 AM   #8
Old Boot

Dirk - MY first name is Graham - Yeah?

Anyway, this will get you to a forum where I and some email Vegas users post their stuff:

This is for the Wembley Thang -

http://www.vegasusers.com/vidshare/textdisp?grazie-grazie_-__a_tribute_to_wembley_stadium.txt

Waht you will need to do is download it - top right hand corner yes? The file is a wee bit big - plays in Windows Media PLayer okay-ish.

I'll ask the lads first - yes?

Grazie
Old January 8th, 2003, 07:56 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Graham,

Thanks for the effort. Wembley stadium has a special place in my heart. It was good seeing it again.

Looking forward seeing the pub-band.

Take care,
Dirk
Old January 8th, 2003, 07:01 PM   #10
Trustee

I'll post here as this is sort of on the same subject...

I'm thinking of getting a Wide Angle for my XM2 but I'm wanting to know if anyone can do some shot tests for me. I can't get any of these things in the stores, they need to be ordered in so I can't test them myself. What I'm mainly wanting is some indoor tests with people in the frame. I will be shooting some dramatic stuff in the coming months and it would be nice to see how wide and well the WD58 works.

That said would anyone be willing to flick me some pics of various rooms with people (1,2 3 or whatever you can manage) talking to each other in the room at different distances apart to give me an idea how well it would handle character interaction shots inside.

Free beer to whoever gives me anything...you'll just have to come to New Zealand to get it ;)

Cheers guys
Aaron
Aaron Koolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2003, 08:38 PM   #11
Trustee

Aaron

These are clips you've probably already seen, but they were shot with the wd-58. I wouldn't say the wd-58 gives you a "dramatic" wide angle shot..more in the range of a 28mm lens on a 35mm still camera. But I like it so much that it's pretty much always on my camera. For the money, you can't do any better.

http://homepage.mac.com/barrygoyette/iMovieTheater7.html
(all full wide except the second shot)

http://homepage.mac.com/barrygoyette/iMovieTheater10.html
(the handheld stuff near the stage)

Hope this helps. Call you when I get to Auckland.

Barry
Barry Goyette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2003, 02:44 AM   #12
Trustee

Hey Barry, thanks. Didn't realise you used the WD58 on those clips Had the leave one on my HD already, just downloading the JND one again. I saw it at work I think a while back, just can't remember what it looked like.

Shit, I didn't realise you were coming to Auckland! About when are you coming? If you need a hookup to be shown around or pickup when you get here etc just let me know.

Cheers
Aaron
Old January 9th, 2003, 12:22 PM   #13
Trustee

Aaron

I'll go anywhere for a free beer....Sorry, no plans yet to head your way, but you never know....but if you ever get to hollywood, head up the coast a bit and I'll show you around our version of god's country.

(also, I'm pretty sure the run kaori run clip was shot with the wd-58 as well, on the gl1)

Barry
Barry Goyette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2003, 02:16 PM   #14
Trustee

Ahh, sorry, guess I'm too slow for your blazing wit! ;)

You should come down, some great skiing and awesome scenery.....Oh yeah and you can see the paddock on the crappy old farm when Hobbiton was constructed...whooopeee! :)
Old January 9th, 2003, 04:35 PM   #15
Major Player

The only problem I have had with the WD-58 and filters is as follows:

I was having problem with glare off the wide angle adapter so I bought a lens shade/matte box from Cinetactics. Just slips on the WD-58. Works well, even has a nice French flag & filter holders.

The only problem I ran across was when shooting in bright sunlight I had put a circular polarizer between the WD-58 and the camera. Of course as soon as I slipped the matte box on it began to rotate freely with the polarizer.

The absurd thing is that when I need the sun shade the msot is also the time whn I would like to use the polarizer. Oh well.

Rick
Rick Spilman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders