Temprature, A factor? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old January 22nd, 2006, 10:38 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Temprature, A factor?

I'll be filming a full-length film in the Appalachian Mountains in mid-late February, while it's expected to be snowing.

I'm purchasing a Camera Cover for the GL2 to keep it enclosed, but I'm assuming it can handle the temprature.

The lowest it's expect to go is 15/20, although I find 25/30 to be much more likely.
Paul Reichelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2006, 10:55 PM   #2
Major Player

Paul,

I've used mine in temps around 15 degrees (f). No problems as long as the cam is acclimated to the temperature. You'll also find that batteries won't last as long at low temps like that so be prepared.
Rob Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2006, 11:52 AM   #3
Regular Crew

When you take the camera inside from the cold, the lens will probably fog up and condensation will form inside. So just make sure you let it dry for a few hours before you use it again. Some people recommend to leave the tape compartment open so that it dries faster, but I don't know if this is such a great idea, as dust might settle inside.
Old January 23rd, 2006, 11:57 AM   #4
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Francois Robichaud
When you take the camera inside from the cold, the lens will probably fog up and condensation will form inside.
To avoid condensation, keep the camera closed in its transportation case for 3 to 4 hours after you are back in a warm room. It is better than having to dry the appliance.
George Bazhenov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2006, 10:36 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Okay thanks for the advice :)

Majority of the filming outside shouldn't take long since I'm sure the actors will want to finish ASAP :P
Paul Reichelt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders