Lapel MIC at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old February 10th, 2006, 09:13 AM   #1
Major Player

Lapel MIC

I wanted to ask just what way can you use a lapel mic on the XM2's without having to buy a really expensive wireless kit.
I want it for interviewing people so it will not matter if I needed a lead to run from the mic to the camera as I would be pretty close anyway.
I know I need a self powered mic as the XM2 will not power one like say a Sony camera will. I already own a small 1 chip Sony for taking on holidays etc with me and I can use it but its twice the footage to load into the computer and then I have to sync them both together, just more time and work than I care to have if there is another way to go by sticking with my XM2.
Paul
Paul Gallagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2006, 10:05 AM   #2
Major Player

there are lapel mics that you put on the person and then run a cable to the camera from the belt pack - the one I use (I forget the exact name) can be self powered by a battery or powered by phantom power through the XLR connector. Do you have the XLR adapter for the GL2?
Andrew Khalil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2006, 02:47 PM   #3
Major Player

No Andrew,
I don't have the MA adaptor, does this power the mics with the XLr plugs on a lead, or do they still need a battery?
Paul
Old February 10th, 2006, 02:55 PM   #4
Major Player

I believe the MA adapter can provide mics with power.
Andrew Khalil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2006, 03:20 PM   #5
Major Player

It might be a better investment to go down this road, thanks for that.
Paul
Old February 11th, 2006, 06:18 AM   #6
Wrangler

Last I knew, the Canon MA-series of XLR adapters do not provide phantom power. A connected mic should be self powered; e.g., by battery or a dymanic mic..

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders