Mythbusters uses the GL2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old February 23rd, 2006, 03:32 AM   #1
New Boot

Mythbusters uses the GL2

So I was just watching some Mythbusters and seen that one of the cameramen was using a GL2. Pretty cool to see that especially since the show is in widescreen.

Anyone know of any other shows that use a GL2 for recording.
Matthew Elaschuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2006, 03:54 AM   #2
New Boot

That is a very interesting find!
Is it possible to use the GL2 for telecast purpose? Is there any programmes ever telecasted using the GL2?
James Bright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2006, 04:13 AM   #3
Major Player

I belive that the Mythbusters also use the DVX100 and some bulky shoulder cam variants as well.

If you notice, the picture quality changes dramatically as it cuts to some awkward angles. If they were using 4:3 cams, then if you REALLY look carefully, the image is also streched to make it widescreen.. You'll see these shots only in the "Ok, this is what we've found out... is it busted?" Scenes
Leo Pepingco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2006, 04:17 AM   #4
Regular Crew

have you ever seen alien vs preditor. you will notice that they used a gl2 while filming.
Nathaniel McInnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2006, 05:19 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathaniel McInnes
have you ever seen alien vs preditor. you will notice that they used a gl2 while filming.
Thats news... Id like to know how they did it, and what shots were used with the cam... Very intersting indeed.
Leo Pepingco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2006, 08:22 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I thought I saw a familiar-looking camera in the mix.

Has anyone seen "Survivorman" on Science (I think)? They drop a survival expert out in the wilderness for a week with 50 lbs of camera gear. I've seen shots with two other cameras visible, so he's got at least three cameras with him; it would be interesting to know what they are, since there are at least two different models.
Robert Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2006, 09:09 AM   #7
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford
I thought I saw a familiar-looking camera in the mix.

Has anyone seen "Survivorman" on Science (I think)? They drop a survival expert out in the wilderness for a week with 50 lbs of camera gear. I've seen shots with two other cameras visible, so he's got at least three cameras with him; it would be interesting to know what they are, since there are at least two different models.
Take a look at the site there's a few pictures on there. http://www.survivorman.ca/episodes.html . I cant really tell what hes using.
Matthew Elaschuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2006, 12:27 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Trading Spaces on TLC sometimes used the GL-1/2 as a roving camera. My XL-1 cameras were used to shoot a Fine Living show. I have also used the PD-150/170 on TLC (Second Chance), MTV (Room Raiders) and Discovery Health (Plastic Surgery Before & After) shows and the DVX on an A&E (Intervention) show. The GL series is a great camera but just is not used as prevalently in broadcast as the Sonys and Panasonics.

Fine Living - XL-1
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=42385

A&E - DVX 100a
www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=61083
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2006, 04:59 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I happened to have my GL2 with me on a college campus one day and the CSPAN bus was there and we got to taking about cameras and I said I had a GL2 and they said that they use the Gl1 mainly for like press conferances and what not. They were like dang he uses a better camera then we use for our station. I thought that was worth a laugh

Last edited by Matt Sawyers; August 2nd, 2006 at 09:43 PM.
Matt Sawyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2006, 04:59 PM   #10
New Boot

in response to 'Is it possible to use the GL2 for telecast purpose? Is there any programmes ever telecasted using the GL2?', ANY camera can be used for broadcast. Look at America's funniest home videos.. america's funniest pets and so on that ask viewers to send in footage. Heck, half the time, those videos are shot on older VHS cameras. The GL2 is an awesome camera and would look right at home on any channel (except HD channels of course).
Old August 27th, 2006, 12:30 PM   #11
Regular Crew

We use GL-2

I produce 2-4 hours of local content for our PEG channel each week using GL-2's. We shoot everything on location from hospitals to theaters, farms to public works facilities.

Yes the GL-2 is very good for telecasting. We even have some preliminary plans to use it for live broadcast if needed to distribute information in the event of a local emergency.

Randy
Randall Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2006, 12:49 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathaniel McInnes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Pepingco
Thats news... Id like to know how they did it, and what shots were used with the cam... Very intersting indeed.
I think he means that one of the characters in the movie were using it in the story to "document" their expedition.
"Your world is all these elements; of light and sound, of taste, smell, and touch. Woven together in many dimensions on the fabulous loom of your brain. Your brain; the most complicated thing in the world, which you yourself grew...without even thinking about it."
Kent Frost is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders