DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   need GL2 footage (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/6192-need-gl2-footage.html)

Max Salhab January 19th, 2003 10:20 PM

need GL2 footage

i want to buy a GL2, but my father wants some footage that also includes audio with dialogue because he wants to see how good the built in audio is. does anyone have any footage that i can view, so i can go ahead and purchase it. thanks!

Scott Silverman January 19th, 2003 11:48 PM

Here this is some footage I shot at XMAS time of my aunt telling stories. It's just family stuff but it should give you a basic idea of what the GL2 is capable of. Its 40 seconds long and 7.3 MB. I didn't compress it too much so you could see some quality stuff. Enjoy!

www.vi-pc.com/~scottsil/Videos/GL2Footage.wmv

Max Salhab January 20th, 2003 12:46 AM

thnks alot scott. aif anyone else has more i would appreciate it ,especially close up audio or movies made with the canons built in mic

Graham Bernard January 20th, 2003 03:12 AM

Scott excellent - Who IS that young woman? A lot of life and fun!!!

Max, if you are truly coinsidering doing some extensive "audio" work with the XM2 - consider a shotgun mic. Lots of discussions here on what alternatives to look at. Here I use a Sennihieser - no complaints. Maybe on the 2nd channel a controllable "ambient" sound mic - controls are ready to hand with the XM2.

Have fun - Grazie

Rich Stone January 24th, 2003 10:00 PM

Here you go, some are better than others, I'm still new at it. These files are all pretty huge, I'd suggest that you right click and save as. Sorry, not too much in the way of audio.

http://www.richiscool.com/videos.html

Mike Butler January 27th, 2003 07:26 PM

OK guys, I have so far only recorded audio with a wireless lavalier on this cam (I usually use the XL1 and just got the GL) so am looking for suggestions on audio...like does anyone have any experience taking audio direct from the PA mixing board? It has been no problem on the XL when taping live events where they are using amplification, and it sure beats trying to set up microphones all over the place! But the XL has clearly identified line level inputs, what about the GL?

Max Salhab January 27th, 2003 09:51 PM

can you post it

can you post the audio clips you captured?

Scott Silverman January 27th, 2003 11:19 PM

His audio clips were captured using a wireless lav mic, not the GL2's mic so if what your looking for is some sample audio off the GL2's on-board mic that is not a good sample. His clips may have been captured onto the GL2 but that doesn't reflect the quality of the GL2 mic, only the quality of his lav mic. If your looking for some GL2 audio, I will tell you this, it's not great. It is not very directional and picks up a lot of sound from the back and the sides. If you want to test it your self try going to a local camera or electronics store that carries the GL2. Bring a MiniDV tape with you so you can record some test footage. Also if you tell me some of the kind of tests you want recorded, I will see what I can do for you this weekend and will post them on my website. Just let me know what you want and I'll try!

Bill Hardy January 28th, 2003 08:02 AM

Also be aware the GL2 has a voice mode for it's mic, which imitates a zoom mic somewhat.

Mike Butler January 28th, 2003 01:05 PM

I just tend not to trust the stock camcorder mic of ANY camcorder for audio much beyond crowd noise, etc., or for those fast-and-furious run-and-gun situations where there is no time to power up and plug in the wireless (or find the cable for the wired mic).

Tao-ming Lin February 2nd, 2003 11:20 PM

I made "Alphadogah" on Triggerstreet.com with my GL2, using the camera mic and almost all auto settings, just to get used to the camera. No lighting or anything extra. Of course, it's been compressed for the site.

J. B. Reeves February 5th, 2003 03:09 AM

I just bought a GL2, my first video camera purchase ever, and have posted some clips. These are in Windows Media format at 1.5 mbps.

http://www.ouiexcel.com/demo/

Graham Bernard February 5th, 2003 03:53 AM

WOW!!! Who IS that parot?

I knew this camera is remarkable - BUT!

Loved the parrot! Love it whistling at the . . . female!

The detail and clarity is superb.

I'm going off today for a video tutorial with a ProVideographer - will show him your results.

Yours is the GL2 so NTSC. Mine is a XM2, so PAL. Don't you just love the way through this digital medium we can "span" the continental-canyon - no problems.

Oh yes! Your encoder to MWP, what was it? What rate etc etc.... The clarity, as I said was superb.

Thank you very m uch for re-conferming my purchase decision,

Any chance of uploading to your or similar site shots of London Town?

Grazie - Keep 'em coming!!!!

J. B. Reeves February 6th, 2003 03:01 AM

Re: WOW!!! Who IS that parot?

Hi, Grazie. I live in southern California, so I won't be putting up London footage in the immediate future. (-: You can count on this, where ever I go, the GL2 will be going with me. You should see the output to a digital television. It amazes me!

I used Pinnacle Studio version 8.3 to capture and to output the WMV files. The settings were 640x480, 44.1 Khz, and 1.5 Mbps.

Where are you located? I\'m upload a volleyball clip soon.

Brent
http://www.ouiexcel.com/demo/

<<<-- Originally posted by Grazie Bernard : I knew this camera is
remarkable - BUT!

Loved the parrot! Love it whistling at the . . . female!

The detail and clarity is superb.

I\'m going off today for a video tutorial with a ProVideographer - will show him your results.

Yours is the GL2 so NTSC. Mine is a XM2, so PAL. Don\'t you just love the way through this digital medium we can "span" the continental-canyon - no problems.

Oh yes! Your encoder to MWP, what was it? What rate etc etc.... The clarity, as I said was superb.

Thank you very m uch for re-conferming my purchase decision,

Any chance of uploading to your or similar site shots of London Town?

Grazie - Keep \'em coming!!!! -->>>

Graham Bernard February 6th, 2003 04:05 AM

Thanks for the "heads-up" on the S8.3 and the encode info.

"Where are you located? " - Why?

Volleyball clip - can\'t wait.

Cheers - Grazie