Modern day GL1? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old March 9th, 2006, 06:03 PM   #1
New Boot

Modern day GL1?

I am looking at getting a prosumer camcorder. I've played around with an old Gl1 and I really liked it. The only problem is that most of them are around 4-5 years old. I will mostly be shooting videos of cars under bright outdoor sunlight. However it will be serving double duty as an all purpose video camera for family events (birthdays etc.). I found the handle on the gl1 very useful for the kinds of shots I was making, so I would like the camera I get to have one. The size was really nice too, the sony vx2000 was really just to big for me. I have budgeted about 800-1000 for just the camera. Would I be ok with a camera as old as the gl1? Or is there a camera out there now that would match the gl1 as far as size/video performance. Thanks in advance for any insight.
James Durand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2006, 06:31 PM   #2
Wrangler

At that price point you're probably going to be looking at used cameras it seems. You might consider the Sony PDX-10. It's smaller than the GL1 if you remove the XLR block (still records through its builtin stereo mikes). It has a lot of pro features, like the mike and XLR's, DVCAM recording, B&W viewfinder. Native 16:9. New they're going for $1,700 but perhaps you can get a used one in your price range:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2006, 06:43 PM   #3
Major Player

There's the smaller Sony HC1/HC3 and then there's always the JVC HD1. Also, there's the Sanyo HD1 but that's going to be a lot smaller than what you're looking for.
Old March 9th, 2006, 09:33 PM   #4
New Boot

Thanks for the replies. The PDX10 looks nice, I'll see if I can find one locally to play around with. I don't really have any problem with buying used. How well do the GL1's hold up? Assuming the camera was taken care of, is there any reason a 4-5 year old GL1 would not be reliable?
Old March 10th, 2006, 10:51 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I like the GL1, but time has just past it by. Frankly, I'd rather have a new Optura.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2006, 03:15 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Durand
Thanks for the replies. The PDX10 looks nice, I'll see if I can find one locally to play around with. I don't really have any problem with buying used. How well do the GL1's hold up? Assuming the camera was taken care of, is there any reason a 4-5 year old GL1 would not be reliable?
Why do you want a 4 or 5 year old camera is what I would ask you. Man if you want to shoot video the kids get one of these new HDV/SD camcorders. Plus then you have a real nice 21st century camera to use. The prices are really good. Check out the new Sony HC cameras.

The Sony A1U has a $500 rebate. That cam would do a lot for you. The PGX10 is discontinued. The GL2 is not going to be made much longer either. But a GL1? Where did you find one? Ebay?

Just wondering what you are planning to pay for a GL1?
Bob Zimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2006, 06:32 PM   #7
New Boot

Like I said, I liked shooting with the Gl1 I borrowed. The most I would pay would be about $700. I feel that if I keep an eye out I can get it for that. However If there was a newer camera on the market that was similar to the gl1 in terms of size and video performance for around $800 I would seriously consider that too, that was really the point of my thread.
Old March 10th, 2006, 06:45 PM   #8
Inner Circle

You might want to consider the Panosonic GS 3 Chip cameras as an alternaitve
Old March 10th, 2006, 07:43 PM   #9
Major Player

Well, I've been using a GL1 since summer 2002 and it's never had to be sent in and it's been dropped a couple of times (oops!), only has a couple of scratches. It's a pretty durable camera, but I still would have to suggest a Sony A1U with the rebate or even a JVC HD1. The Sony rebate only lasts until the end of March and though it is a little more than double your $800 ideal price, it's going to be worth it. The JVC HD1 is about equal with the GL1/GL2 but has a little less manual control but with 720p HD if I'm not mistaken, but it's also higher priced than your $800 ideal price.

That's if you're going with HD. There's plenty of SD options available for even less than $800. Though, you like the size of the GL1, that's all I know of. Other than that, the options that the others have told you about are probably your best bets.
Old March 11th, 2006, 05:48 PM   #10
New Boot

Thanks again for all the replies. I wasn't really planning on going HD, maybe in a few years, but the A1U and HD1 look really nice. I think I am going to hold off getting a camera until I can save some more money. I think with $1500-1700 I will be able to get a lot better camera, then dropping 700 on an old GL1.
James Durand is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders