DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Finally Getting XM2. Advice for Extras? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/6302-finally-getting-xm2-advice-extras.html)

Hilary Cam January 23rd, 2003 09:41 PM

Finally Getting XM2. Advice for Extras?

Well, I've posted a fair few times here and have been an avid reader for the last few months.

I've finally got my affairs in order and settled on getting an XM2 tomorrow (Saturday). While obviously excited, I still have some last minute questions on what basic extras I should pick up at the store.

I've tried to make a short list;

- XM2 Standard Kit.

- Is the battery that comes with the kit sufficient (~90min)? Perhaps a second batt, BP-930, 945?

- Filter for lens protection only (to be left on all the time; 58mm threaded 0.10 UV-Haze? Hoya, B+W, brands?)

- 5 pack of 60min DV tapes (Fuji DVC-60 best? Shouldn't mix with other tapes?)

- Tripod (fluid head? brands?)

- Bag. Room for camera, filters, batteries, tapes etc. (what are the best bags by Lowepro, Kata, Tarmac etc?)

If there are any obvious omissions or better choices please tell me. (and, yes I already have a firewire card).

:) thanks guys,
hope to be a regular here in the near future.

Hilary

PS.
To potential buyers on a budget, try to barter down the price. This purchase would not have been possible had I not.

Brian M. Dickman January 23rd, 2003 10:13 PM

Battery is pretty much a requirement. The standard issue one is what I throw on there when I want to rewind a tape or check timecodes, but that's about it. Either a real 945 or the sabaoceanic deal.

Bag, another given. There's plenty of threads about that though.

Tripod, depends on what you're going to shoot. I'd rank it pretty high though, the GL/XM2 is a pretty light cam and shakes easy. At least a steadier of some kind. Also lots of threads on this.

I just grabbed a Tiffen UV protector. The obsessive geek in me (and the frugal guy that just laid out major bucks for that beautiful lens) would never let the lens be naked to the world. Unless you know you want the effect though, just stick with straight UVP only, not haze.

I'm just one stage ahead of you (I have all the major camera parts I want) and I'm going after sound next. As gets discussed a lot around here, the onboard just doesn't cut it for "up close and personal".

Have fun! It's a great cam.

Hilary Cam January 23rd, 2003 10:20 PM

Thanks Brian,

I take it the BP-945 uses the standard recharger supplied with the XM2?

What time can you squeeze out of each?

915 (supplied) - min?
930 - min?
945 - min?

Justin Morgan January 24th, 2003 03:45 AM

Have you seen this link (on this website):

http://www.dvinfo.net/canongl2/articles/topfive.php

Hilary Cam January 24th, 2003 03:09 PM

Yes Justin I have seen that link. But I was more concerned at this point about bare basics for the camera, rather then substantial upgrades.

Does anyone know if the BP-945 protrudes from the GL2, it looks very chunky. Might get a BP-930.

Dirk Goris January 27th, 2003 08:01 AM

Hi Hilary,

I bought my batteries here:
http://www.sabahoceanic.com/vcanon.html

They where much cheaper and last longer. There was a topic about it some months ago.

Dirk

Hilary Cam January 28th, 2003 08:08 PM

Hi fellas.

Been playing around with the XM2 for the last few days; fairly impressed.

One of my main worrys was the zoom which I dreaded would be like those old VHS Camcorders, very raw and fast. It is however very soft and subtle (perfect for almost subconscious closing-in on subject matter) yet it unfortunately doesn't 'glide' down to a stop like a manual zoom might.

I took a trip to the zoo (where I coincidentally bumped into Superman! well, Christopher Reeves who is unfortunately looking not-so-super) to give the XM2 the first run for its money, the colours were vibrant and sharp despite it being an unusually grey and polluted day. The manual focus was excellent for composing interesting images with foreground elements.

Whats next from here:

- I still have no stand!

I was initially looking at the Manfrotto 501 set, until I was shown a 2nd hand Miller Fluid-Head. It was used for 35mm panavisions and obviously has been through alot. It is extremely well built and durable (not to mention heavy), the pans and tilts are silk smooth and glide into a stop where ‘consumer fluid heads’ would simply come to a halt. Needless to say it absolutely BLOWS AWAY the Manfrotto 501. To top it up its going for about the same price as a new Manfrotto 501 head.

Now I have to find a Miller tripod with a 100mm leveling bowl, which I’m told are far from cheap. I'll keep you posted as things develop.

As for www.sabahoceanic.com batteries, the prices are amazing and they will be my next point of call.

Cheers,
Hilary

Vito Zarrillo January 28th, 2003 10:04 PM

Hilary-

You had previously asked a question regarding whether or not the 945 battery protrudes from the camera. Well, it sort of does. The work around for it though is to have the viewfinder extended at all times.

As far as battery life, I found the following times on my batteries: 45-50 minutes for the 915, 2-2.5 hours for the 930, 3-3.5 hours for the 945.

Best of luck with the camera, it's great.

Rob Lohman January 29th, 2003 04:13 AM

That is a lot more time than I get out of my 915 (around 15 - 30
minutes I'd say, depending on whether auto focus etc. is on).

I just bought a different brand 945 and waiting to get back to
my camera to test that one out.