DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Stuff – Where’s it all go?? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/63300-stuff-where-s-all-go.html)

Don Boosinger March 20th, 2006 10:52 AM

Stuff – Where’s it all go??

Where’s everyone putting all the extra stuff – mics, XLR adaptors, FS-4, external batteries – looks like I’m going to need a bigger tripod…….

Any suggestions??

While I’m at it are the on camera lights worth the cost?

thanks

Rob Wilson March 20th, 2006 11:18 AM

Not sure about the FS and extra batteries but I made a mount that fits between the tripod plate and the cam. It provides a place to mount my XLR adapter, wireless receiver and a ME66 w cover. There are several aftermarket handles/mounts available that have been mentioned in previous posts.

Alan Craven March 20th, 2006 11:50 AM

I have the Beachtek box on top of the tripod and a Manfrotto sliding plate between it and the camera. The microphone is connected to one of the threaded holes in the side of the sliding plate via a Rycote mount and hot shoe adaptor

Graham Bernard March 20th, 2006 07:02 PM

Ah! Alan! This is exactly the point I've got to. I too have these intriguing Frotti holes and thinking about HOW to employ them as mic/monitor/light fixings.

You got a pic of your setup? Please?

Grazie

Alan Craven March 21st, 2006 12:43 AM

Graham,

No - but I'll see what I can do - it is not a problem getting the picture. The problem is I have no means of uploading it for the world to see. I will have to send you it either by post or by email?

You can buy from Keene, and other places, an adaptor that screws in to the 1/4" or 3/8" threaded hole and has a hot shoe foot on the other end - I somehow have got ones of both size.

I bought a flash bracket which had two shoes on the end - intended to be one vertical the other horizontal. I sawed off this right angle bit and slot one shoe onto the foot in the Manfrotto and the Rycote mount in the other.

It places the mic alongside the camera - useful to me as it spends a lot of time poking through letterbox shaped slots in hides. I have fitted a second shoe on the bracket further out from the bend, and a spacer between the foot and the Manfrotto so my long ME67 does not appear in shot even at wide angle - I have no wide extender, I aleays work at the other extreme.

Hope this gives you some ideas!

Don Boosinger March 21st, 2006 03:23 AM

A little too much?

Alan

In the next couple of days I should receive my Beachtek unit. At that time I will start planning some type of mounting. I have seen the Beachtek mounted under the camera (seems to be the norm) but I wonder how effective this is? Is it easy to make adjustments or change out microphone connectors in this position? I will also be mounting a FS-4 with external battery pack and possibly the CH-910 with dual BP-945 batteries. All of this is weight that is starting to add up, so I’m guessing I will be looking for a “heavy” duty tripod also.

I will most probably use ME-67/64 combination. I am planning to use ¼” thick aluminum which should allow for a lot of threads. Currently I am thinking of putting the FS-4 behind and below the camera in a vertical position. The ME-67 will be mounted to the left (LCD side) and above the camera. I’m hoping this will be far enough away so that I do not pick up any tape or fan noise. So as to the Beachtek unit I have not decided yet – possibly to the right and below the camera or under the camera like I usually see.
This is all starting to sound a little bulky so I will have to wait and see.

Do you have any thoughts or suggestions?

Alan Craven March 21st, 2006 08:09 AM

Don,

I'm not sure which Beachtek you are getting, mine is the DXA-8, because I need the limiters. My box has controls at one end and XLRs at the other. I have the controls facing me - I need to see the limiter LEDs - and the sockets at the lens end, with a R angle Neutrik XLR, which makes it much less vulnerable.

I have the microphone at the cassette side because for various reasons I need to be to the L of the camera. I have never been aware of any motor noise pick up, but the arrangement has the active part of the mike several inches away from the motor. I agree though, in an ideal world I would put it at the LCD side. The components I have would allow that.

Graham has suggested a way of posting images on this board, so I will give that a go - it would be better to make them widely available I suppose.

Don Boosinger March 21st, 2006 02:24 PM

Alan

As it happens the DXA-8 is what I purchased. As I’m setting here thinking about it putting the microphone on the left may be troublesome. Since the majority of the controls are on the left side as well as opening the LCD.

I have a little concern because the tripod head is only 2” wide and 3 ¼” long. It sounds to me that all this might make stability an issue so I will have to keep options in mind.

Posting the pictures here I think is a good idea but I’m not sure of the “rules” so possibly a link to the pictures might be better. Hmmm…….

I figure it will take me a week or so to iron out a prototype then I’ll post. Until then thanks for the help.

Don

Alan Craven March 21st, 2006 02:36 PM

Don,

Stability won't be a problem, your head is only the same size as mine. I thought of using 1/4" aluminium, but as I already had the Manfrotto sliding plate, I went with that, and I am very pleased with it.

I have tried to post the photos in the gallery here, but I am barred at the moment - you apparently have to get an account activated, but I cannot find how to do this.

Graham sent me his email address and I have sent him a set of pictures. No problem if you have broadband - I would have to reduce quality a bit more otherwise. I'll send you a set if you could use them.

The DXA-8 is a very nice piece of equipment. I assume you have read Fred Retread's post of his tests of the Canon with the Beachtek?

Don Boosinger March 21st, 2006 03:09 PM

Alan

As it happens I have read Fred’s post and that is why I went do the DXA-8 instead of a lesser model.

Yes I would be interested in seeing your photos. I’m always interested in the way others do things. Do not worry about file size it should not be a problem. I have sent you my e-mail address.

Don

Dale Guthormsen March 25th, 2006 01:28 AM

pictures

Allan,

I have been following this thread and am ver interested in it could you email me the pics, I'm on broad band. dale.g@sasltel.net.

dale

Eric Johnson March 26th, 2006 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Boosinger
Where’s everyone putting all the extra stuff – mics, XLR adaptors, FS-4, external batteries – looks like I’m going to need a bigger tripod…….

Any suggestions??

While I’m at it are the on camera lights worth the cost?

thanks

The Scorpion Support bracket does a nice job of laying out all the accessories and keeps the weight off the shoulder with the monopod system.
www.scorpionsupport.com

Graham Bernard March 26th, 2006 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Johnson
The Scorpion Support bracket does a nice job of laying out all the accessories and keeps the weight off the shoulder with the monopod system.
www.scorpionsupport.com

Sorry Eric, but that is just too . . . . !

Don Boosinger March 26th, 2006 07:41 PM

Eric

Scorpion support – not bad but I’m not really interested in a portable mount. I’m thinking tripod. However I do think that some parts of this bracket could be used on a tripod.

I have not really started cutting metal yet but I have drawn up some plans and made a prototype out of poster paper. Unfortunately I am not able to upload a picture here. The “bracket” holds the following: FS-4, Li-poly battery for the FS-4, CH-910 w/BP-945’s and some room for expansion. This will mount between the DXA-8 and the tripod.

Thanks

Don

Don Boosinger April 4th, 2006 05:33 AM

Not getting around to it very quickly but.....

http://www.sonic.net/kd6hq/images/Camera-1.jpg
http://www.sonic.net/kd6hq/images/Batteries.bmp
http://www.sonic.net/kd6hq/images/CameraMount.bmp
http://www.sonic.net/kd6hq/images/FS-4.bmp

This will be made from 1/8" thick alu.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

thanks
Don