S-video Cable Question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old April 18th, 2006, 07:03 PM   #1
Tourist

S-video Cable Question

When I hook up my GL1 to a calibrated TV set. Do I use the Stereo Video Cable (red, white and yellwo cord) or is it better to use the S-Video connection. What's the difference?
Chris Boykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2006, 07:56 PM   #2
Regular Crew

S-video is always prefered to the composite video input. S-video is a cable that seperates the colors of video (red, green, and blue) from the brightness signal for proper video reproduction. Composite video (the little yellow cable) is a combination video signal that has to reconverted to the three different color signals for display on the TV. It's kind of like using a digital to analog back to digital converter. Of course the best option would be a firewire hookup, then you would get a pure digital signal, but TV's don't have that option. Always use your S-video for the best image quality from your videocamera.
David L. Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2006, 08:51 PM   #3
Major Player

Yes, ALWAYS use S-Video over Composite when you have the choice.
Old April 19th, 2006, 04:28 AM   #4
Wrangler

Agree that s-video is the better way to do. The composite video signal contains the same two signals as the s-video cable but they are mixed (added) together to make one electrical signal. The process of separating these back into the original two signals needed by the TV set often results in some losses, expecially of fine detail.

The TV set uses the two signals (brightness, which is essentially a B&W image) and color difference (a modulated signal comprised of two color information signal streams) to form the image. The process is clever, designed to work with the technology available in the 1940s.
Old April 19th, 2006, 06:03 AM   #5
Tourist

Another question about s-video

David, Webb and Don. Thanks for the help. So I hook up one end of the s-video cable to my Gl1 and the other to the S-video component of the TV? Both ends of the s-video cable will look the same--correct? What type/model of s-video cable is needed? Maybe a link would help so that I don't buy the wrong one. Thanks
Chris Boykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2006, 06:07 AM   #6
Capt. Quirk

As far as I know, S vid cables are all the same.
Old April 19th, 2006, 06:50 AM   #7
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Boykins
David, Webb and Don. Thanks for the help. So I hook up one end of the s-video cable to my Gl1 and the other to the S-video component of the TV? Both ends of the s-video cable will look the same--correct? What type/model of s-video cable is needed? Maybe a link would help so that I don't buy the wrong one. Thanks
Chris,

Both ends of the cable are the same, it makes no difference which end you hook to what. However, since you are asking about S-Video, I wanted to point out something that a lot of folks don't initially realize. That is, S-Video DOES NOT contain any audio information. You'l need to hook up separate audio cables to get sound.

regards,

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders