One Chip Versus GL-2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old April 24th, 2006, 07:30 PM   #1
Regular Crew

One Chip Versus GL-2

Is there any one chip (non HD) made today that has the same excellent picture quality as the GL-2? Is there any way to measure the quality? For example lines of resolution.

Thanks,
Tony
Tony Marino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2006, 08:07 PM   #2
Regular Crew

This is a good thread, I am also in the market for a cute cheaper camera to use mostly as a import deck unit, but also a secondary camera where it will be paired with my GL2. Are the new Canon 16:9 1-CCD chippers any good? Or would Sony, or Panasonic be a better camera?
David L. Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2006, 09:59 PM   #3
Inner Circle

spare camera

Tony, David,

I have worked on this idea myself. The problem is that by the time you get a one chipper that is of good enough quality you are getting near the price of an actual palyer. The gl2 footage is pretty hard to approach in my opinion. I would look at the more economical three chip panasonics that have 3ccd s: 150 and 250. you might get them cheap used on ebay.
Old April 25th, 2006, 07:41 AM   #4
Fred Retread

I normally shoot high school concerts and other staged events with 3 cams--a GL2, a Sony VX2100 and a Panasonic GS200 (three chip predecessor of the GS250). I use the Pany up front for dramatic closeup and angled footage, and it is also my workhorse deck unit at home.

The three cams are close in color, and I think that most of the difference "forgiven" by the eye in cuts between the views, but I do adjust the colors a little bit in post to minimize the differences.

I like the look of the GL2 the best for this type of shooting, but in terms of sharpness, clarity and color saturation the GS200 holds its own very nicely with the other two. I might even soften the sharpness of the Pany footage down a bit, if I wasn't already spending 80 hours or so on each production 8>)

If anything happened to my GS200 I wouldn't hesitate to buy a used Sony TRV22 from eBay. The compact little TRV22 is exceptional in features, and also in low light performance due to its unusual 1/4" CCD, and has electronic image stabilization that actually works. I've bought four of them at an average price of $270 for my high school and have shot them with my own cams in multiple cam shoots. In a role similar to the way I use the Pany they've been fine. In buying from eBay I look for 100% positive feedback based on at least twelve or so transactions, or 99.8% minimum based on many transactions. Never been burned.
Old April 26th, 2006, 08:32 AM   #5
New Boot

I use both the GL2 and Panasonic DVC30, both are amazing. The only single chip that compares to the quality right now is the Canon Optura 600. It has a 4MB single chip which gives it the best color recognition of the single chips I've seen. BUT the build is awkward and it's pretty small. I'm gonna get one to use as a stationary back-up but that's it. Price tag - $799 on profeelvideo.com (excellent online shopping)
David Roseland is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders