Film-like Picture with GL2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old February 3rd, 2003, 09:44 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Film-like Picture with GL2

Hey guys. I've had our GL2s for about 2 weeks now. What settings do you guys feel makes the best film like image quality. I know good lighting and compostion and production values make the most of film look, but I just wanted to know your thoughts on what would be the optimal settings to use. Should I turn my Color Gain all the way up. Speaking of which, does the color gain just boost color saturation or what?
Daniel Broadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2003, 12:07 AM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Hello Daniel,
I don't really know if "optimal" values exist for getting a film-look with the GL2. Since it's such a subjective quality I think you'll really just have to experiment to develop the image qualities that look best to your eyes.

The adjustments often twiddled to this end are:
Frame Mode
Setup Level: -1 click
Sharpness: -1 click

I think you'll find that you may need to tweak for each scene. But experiment away!

Yes, the "Color Gain" basically affects overall color saturation.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2003, 10:40 AM   #3
Trustee

Usually you need to color grade in post anyway, so the built-in GL2 settings don't seem to be much use. Just make sure you get the color balance right and then with software you can pretty much make the footage look however you want.

The only thing I do do is set the color gain all the way up to give me the richest looking pictures.
Peter Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2003, 09:57 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks guys. So Color Gain won't make my picture more noisy like normal Gain will? Probably not. Just checking. And how does the GL2 do in low light? Does it get all nasty and grainy?
Daniel Broadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2003, 10:09 PM   #5
Trustee

No color gain doesn't affect grain at all as far as I can tell. It just makes all colors come through more saturated, and I love the look.

In low light, auto mode, the picture is very grainy and nasty but just switch into manual exposure mode, turn gain down to 0 or 6db, turn frame rate down to 30 fps, and then light the room as best you can to remove grain.

Also spotlight mode is really good - it always keeps light gain at 0db and adjusts f-stop and shutter speed automatically for you to get the best exposure.
Peter Moore is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders