GL2 won't turn on!!!!!! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old May 2nd, 2006, 07:23 AM   #1
New Boot

GL2 won't turn on!!!!!!

Hey,

I just bought a used GL2 and it worked fine when I first got it. Last night, I hooked it up to my TV with the RCA cables and tried a couple of different settings to get used to the camera.

This morning, at work, I was about to shoot something real important when I turned ON the camera and nothing would happen!!!! My battery was almost full last night, I left it on the camera but closed it before putting it in my bag.

I tried my 2 other battery packs (BP-945), still the same thing when I put slid the slidder from "OFF" to "CAMERA". As I slid it back, i went to "PLAY (VCR)" and the green light lit up!! I can watch the tape that's in the camera, but when I slide it back to CAMERA, nothing happens with 3 different battery packs!!!

What could it be? The only settings I changed last night were the "TV Screen" option, the Manual Focus and the Shooting modes.

Could somebody help me out, I have a HUGE contract to shoot this week-end and I need the camera to work ASAP!!!

Thanks!!
Julien T. Chartier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2006, 07:39 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Camera won't turn on

You not only have to slide the VCR-Camera switch on top of the camera on but you must push the standby switch on the rear of the tape housing up; the camera will go into pause, then you push the red button to begin recording.

My advice read thru the entire manual as soon as possible. If you don't have a manual you can download one from the canon web site.

Hope this fixes your problem.
Bill Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2006, 07:46 AM   #3
New Boot

OMG I feel like a fool, the switch was at LOCK, I must have tipped it when I put it in my bag.

I gotta get used to it, man... thanks Bill!!!
Julien T. Chartier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2006, 08:47 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julien T. Chartier
OMG I feel like a fool, the switch was at LOCK, I must have tipped it when I put it in my bag.

I gotta get used to it, man... thanks Bill!!!
Don't beat yourself up too bad, we've all had that 'heart attack' with new equipment, ya kinda feel like Captain Kirk facing Khan.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 11:08 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Yes, switch it to lock

Julien,
No reason to feel foolish. I, too, forgot about the lock switch early in my career.

Actually, you should switch it to lock before sliding the other switch to turn off the power. So, you did the right thing! The proper sequence is: To power on, push slider to "camera" to turn on the power. Then move the other switch from lock to standby. The power light will not be lit until you move this switch to standby. To power down, push the switch down to lock, then slide the other switch to off (the positon between camera and VCR).
Old May 2nd, 2006, 02:19 PM   #6
Regular Crew

When i got my XM2 it took me nearly 3 hours to figure out why it would turn on you know the battery was fully charged and the switch was in the on position. then i realise the standby switch
Nathaniel McInnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2006, 04:16 PM   #7
Old Boot

Now, hands up those who HAVE pushed the big red and actually put the camera into PAUSE instead? Meaning it was in REC but the second hit put the camera in PAUSE . . . I have two hands and 2 big feet up in the air!!!

Oh yeah, how about turning OFF the mic battery? AND have while wearing cans AND convinced there IS audio going down? Yup - guilty!!

. .I have others too . .

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2006, 07:44 PM   #8
Fred Retread

Tripod level? Check.
Fresh batteries in everything? Check.
Cables laid? Check.
Mics postitioned properly? Check.
Board feed set? Check.
Attenuators in place? Check.
Audio levels? Check.
White Balance? Check.
Exposure mode? Check.
Headphones on?
[overture starts, curtain goes up]

Oh, #$&#*!@!! .... forgot the tape!!!

Been there, done that.
Old May 4th, 2006, 02:43 PM   #9
New Boot

That's exactly what has happened to me in the past. In fact, I was doing a big wedding this weekend and I was going back and forth to make sure that I did not hit that big red button into pause. Yicks!!!!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders