Mechanical zoom noise in GL2 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old February 16th, 2003, 07:45 PM   #16
Major Player

Don:

There were some changes in the GL2's audio system, but I think you are correct that the mic itself did not change.

Know anything about the DM-50?
Will Fastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2003, 07:51 PM   #17
Major Player

Marco:

I don't yet have good field experience with the NRG Tri-Mount.

It is very strong and it mounts firmly to the cam. I don't see any problem with putting a pound or so of stuff on it, maybe more. I have some old ARC on-cam, 150W lights I bought on eBay that I like a lot; it's pretty heavy but because it's intended to mount in the shoe anyway, I think it could sit anyware on the Tri-Mount.

I have not yet done the test with the mount, which is to put the SGM-X in the Azden shock mount on top of the Tri-Mount to see if I still pick up the ambient noise.

At $23, it did seem to be a pretty expensive hunk of aluminum considering it's only 5" tall.
Old February 16th, 2003, 08:07 PM   #18
Regular Crew

For what it's worth, I have made a mount for my Sen ME66K6 from a Beyerdynamic EA86 and a Sen MZQ6. I hack sawed off the end of the Sen standard mount and drilled a large shallow hole in the end. Then I replaced the brass threaded bottom of the Beyerdynamic shock mount with the larger diameter stud that came packaged with it. I then hack sawed off the stud so that only about 1/8" was showing and threaded it into the drilled hole. With a little epoxy glue and a prayer, an extremely quiet shock mount was produced.

The advantage of the Sen mount was its firm attachment to the GL2, and the advantage of the Beyerdynamic was its effective shock dampening ability in a very low-profile design.

My ME66 is now about 5" from the lense, and you can literally hear a whisper across a room (provided the room is quiet).
Brad Higerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2003, 01:18 AM   #19
Old Boot

Drilling Stuff!

Errrmmmm... Brad, any chance of a picture of your handy work? Very interested.

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2003, 07:22 AM   #20
Wrangler

Will,

I don't have any good information about the DM-50. Some folks seem to like it.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2003, 07:27 AM   #21
Major Player

Don:

I decided to start a new thread directly on topic to see if I can shake anything loose.

Thanks anyway.
Old February 19th, 2003, 07:00 PM   #22
Major Player

DM-50 Owner Reports Specs!

I'm very grateful to Tom Voight, a DM-50 owner who posted the following notes in the "DM-50 Owners: Got Specs?" thread:

Type: Back electret stereo condenser shotgun microphone
Directivity: Super-directional/Uni-directional stereo
Sensitivity: -40dB/PA (0 dB= 1V/ 1 Pa, 1 kHz front, along axis)
Frequency: 150-15,000 Hz
Output impedance: 200 ohms (1 kHz)
Operating temperature range: 0-40 C
Dimensions: 32x81x150mm, 120g

I can't compare it to any other microphone, but I like it a lot. It produces a very nice recording of music and voice with a very good stereo image (in the center, stereo shotgun, setting).
Will Fastie is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders