zr 100 as player at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old May 11th, 2006, 05:59 PM   #1
Inner Circle

zr 100 as player

I thought I heard somewhere the 100 does not have device control, is that true??

Until I can afford a vtr I thought I better get an economic camera to use and avoid using my gl2 and xl2 when editing.

Any suggestions would be helpful.
Old May 12th, 2006, 09:21 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I just bought the ZR700 from Canon for my DV deck. It was only $20.00 more than the ZR600 and it comes with a LED light. For only $350.00 it was a great buy online. I'm happy that I no longer have to use my GL2 for rewinding tapes and computer capture footage.
David L. Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2006, 09:54 AM   #3
Wrangler

i have used a zr-100 as a capture device for a couple of years now. i paid $319 for it, which at the time was a screaming deal. it's very reliable. captures even *more* accurately than my old GL2 did...has saved me a couple of times when i've had broken timecode.

two things: the firewire cord has a tendency to pop out of the poorly located connector. the bottom loading tape transport seems to periodically seat tapes poorly. if you're aware of and careful about these two things, you should have no problems at all.
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2006, 11:07 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Thanks

Merym and dave,

thanks for taking the time! I will go that route, I have always liked canon lens and cameras.

dave where did you order to zr 700??
Old May 14th, 2006, 10:12 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Type in ZR700 on google, then click on "Froogle" at the top of the screen and you will see all the different prices. I actually ordered mine from Circuit City online. The store wont have the price that they have on sale online. I had the camera in 2 days with the express shipping.
David L. Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2006, 09:59 PM   #6
Tourist

Canon ZR 25 Advice

Hey Everybody,

I'm a new poster. I own a Canon ZR 25 MC as well. I have experienced my fair share of problems with the machine. The cassette deck often refuses to accept MINI DV tapes and sometimes spits out the film inside the cassette deck. The film ends up getting stuck in the tape heads and is very difficult to remove. Attempting to remove the film has damaged quite a few of my tapes. When it does accept a tape, I get several bars across the screen making the picture jumbled. I purchased a service plan on the camcorder from Sears, which has since expired. I sent the camcorder to Sears three times to fix the problem and the problem remains. Canon claims this is only a problem they can repair themselves. I suspect the problem is either a misaligned head or a capstan problem.

Canon estimates $157.00 for out-of-warranty repair, what a rip-off! I might think of repairing it if I thought it would not break again in a few months/years. I don't know if I should pay the nearly $160 to repair the problem with no warranty to cover future problems or simply cut my losses and purchase a new camcorder. How much would it cost to have it repaired somewhere else? I am going on vacation in late July and I would like to have a camcorder by then. What should I do? I would appreciate any advice or ideas to fix this problem.

Thanks
Michael Hickenbottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2007, 11:54 AM   #7
Tourist

Fire Away on Canons

Canon is offering me the choice between 3 refurbished cameras. The ZR 500 for $179, the Elura 100 for $249 or the DC100 for $329.

What are the pros and cons of each particular model and which should I go with?
Michael Hickenbottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2007, 02:25 AM   #8
Major Player

If you need a deck, the ZR 500 would do fine. I think the Elura has a better image quality if you're going to be recording things with it. And the DC100 is an entry-level DVD camcorder.
Chris Harris is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders