Tape load motor noise. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old February 7th, 2003, 11:19 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Tape load motor noise.

I've had my GL2 for about six months and still hold my breath when opening the tape door due to the loud series of straining whirs, whines and eventual pop of the door.

Has anyone else had this reaction, or is it just me. My little Sony doesn't seem this loud.

Tom
Tom Christensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2003, 12:06 AM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Tom,
Canon cameras seem to have a rather distinctive whine/whirr/pop sound cycle as the tapes load and unload. My XL1s sound just like my former XL1 which sounded like my GL2 which sounds very similar to my ZR's. I admit that I too had the impression of impending calamity listening to my first Canon camera load and unload. Now I just don't think anything of it...unless of course I don't hear it at all when I hit the Eject switch!

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2003, 01:14 AM   #3
Old Boot

Funny that - I look forward to all the whirrs and clicks and slicks coming from my lovely cammy - It's as if it is saying "OOhh let's get on with it Grazie - I really wanna film this - come on lets get going!" - Sorry folks just got carried away. Ooh just thought of another project - "A Day in Life of Grazie's Cannon!" - DOAH . . . just realised, I've only got one XM2 - how on earth would I film my cammy saying all this stuff??

Hey folks it's the weekend - let's not be too serious - yeah?

Just filmed the start of the demolishion of one of Wembley Stadium's Towers - very, very sad to all that know what I mean - THE TOWERS WILL BE GONE IN 14 DAYS!!! - All those memories - all those FA Cup finals - World Cup 1966! - The ROlling Stones Concerts - Save The World - All the "AID" concerts - Nelson Mandela - Queen and Freddie! - . . . .. . . very, very sad . ..

BUT - the New Stadium - when it is finally built, is absolutely stunning! You should see the Designs - Lots of options for filming . . .

Sorry got off thread here - but I think the whirrs and clicks and slicks coming from my XM2 will be very noisy over the next couple of years!

Cheers

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2003, 10:55 AM   #4
Regular Crew

What I hear it saying is "Hey Tom watch my motor burn out and leave you stranded with a high priced repair." But I'm a glass half empty kind of guy.

For those of you whose camera's don't speak to them, you can turn that on in the camera setup menu. You just have to look around for it. :)

Grazie, you should do a time lapse of the stadium coming down over the next two weeks and post.

Tom
Tom Christensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2003, 08:22 AM   #5
New Boot

I don't own a GL2. I do however have a Canon Optura Pi and a G2. The Pi makes all kind of noises when opening up and the G2 makes some rather unpleasant noises on start up. I did rent a GL2 for this weekend. I love it. It is a fantastic camera. I have commentes aloud about the shear number of noises it makes when loading a tape though.

Patrick
Patrick Mollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2003, 05:14 PM   #6
Trustee

I too don't like the noises the GL2 makes upon ejection- makes me feel like 100 gears and levers are moving to eject the tape- 1 false move and the whole mechanism will fail.......that's what it sounds like......scary.

The Panasonic DVX100 is silent by comparison.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders