DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   GL2 Frame stills...hawk eating prey!!! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/6759-gl2-frame-stills-hawk-eating-prey.html)

Steve Nunez February 8th, 2003 10:39 PM

GL2 Frame stills...hawk eating prey!!!

In case anyone is wondering how good (or bad) are frame stills (not the digital pictures via SD Card- but actual single frame grabs) from the GL2....I've posted a sample "grabs" page here

http://stevenunez.com/GL2frames/gl2grabs.html

It's of an immature redtail hawk in a Bronx, NYC park eating a bird it just caught- this series of pictures came from video I shot today while at the park with a nature photographer friend....the video was outstandingly good and the GL2 proved itself a remarkable camera.... the GL2 is just awesome.

PS- These shots were taken with a Sony 1.7X telephoto video adapter attached to the front of the GL2 via 58mm threads....so there's a slight degradation of video quality- but minimal.....the resulting shots would therefore be at 34X optical zoom! This hawk was quite high in the tree.....see for yourself.

Rich Stone February 8th, 2003 10:51 PM

Do you have a clip we can see too?

Steve Nunez February 8th, 2003 11:13 PM

I guess if there's enough interest in seeing the video- i can edit something real quick with FCP and post it......

I can tell you personally that the video impressed me and the few people who saw it- we all viewed it full screen on an 23" HD Apple Cinema Display and we were floored- the GL2 impressed us all quite a bit.

I can understand all the user enthusiasm for it- I just got rid of the Panasonic DVX100 and don't regret it a bit....awesome zoom and excellent batt life make the GL2 an excellent nature / documentary camera....I'm sold!

Ken Tanaka February 8th, 2003 11:19 PM

Steve,
As usual, great shots (gory subject <g>).

Glad to hear you're liking the GL2. I really like mine. It's the most impressive camera I've seen in its price bracket and produces really striking footage if given the chance.

Graham Bernard February 9th, 2003 01:13 AM

WOW!

I agree with Ken.

Just as an aside. As we are starting to see what IS possible with this prosumer cammy, the conversations relating to the "concerns" over the low light levels seem to have "faded" and "dimmed". I do appreciate that there are times when this low light option is a "must", but seeing the glorious work Steve has produced, gives me great satisfaction - I just love looking at the clarity and "depth" this cammy produces

Again as Ken said,"produces really striking footage if given the chance" - THIS says it all for me.

Steve - Thanks for taking the time and bother to share with us what you've discovered about the GL2 - XM2 here in the UK!

Grazie

Jeff Donald February 9th, 2003 05:40 AM

Steve, very nice work. The 40x stuff shows very little color fringing in the background. It looks like you found a good combination.

Chris Hurd February 9th, 2003 10:20 AM

Steve, I'd like to copy these over to the Image Gallery on our GL2 Son of Watchdog page, with a link back of course

Steve Nunez February 9th, 2003 10:24 AM

Video is posted!

Chris,

Sure thing....I've added a video to make the visit to the page worthwhile.

Let me know what you guys think.

Imran Zaidi February 9th, 2003 02:23 PM

Nice video! I really enjoyed the bit near the end with the fading jump cuts and the feel of the music. Hadn't seen that type of jump-cut usage in nature footage before, but I liked it. Very dreamy and intriguing because of the effect the music has while you're watching what is basically a brutal part of nature. Sad and beautiful at the same time.

Was that footage taken in the GL2's Frame mode?

Wayne Orr February 9th, 2003 02:29 PM

Lovely footage, Steve. Thanks for sharing.

BTW, what was it you didn't like about the DVX?

Steve Nunez February 9th, 2003 05:08 PM

I'm really glad you guys liked it....creating video is a hobby for me and having anyone enjoy a piece i've created is a real ego-booster for me...thanks again.

The video was shot in normal interlaced mode in "Easy" rec mode...I usually shoot in "Manual" mode with my XL1s but am not familiar enough with the GL2 to record in "Manual" yet. The video was compressed and deinterlaced with Cleaner 5.1.1 using the Sorenson 3 codec- the music comes from the "BackTraxx" music library.

-- As for what I didn't like about the Panasonic DVX100;
Extreme wide angle lens- excellent lens but not suited for telephoto videography of which nature videographers like myself would want- the 10X zoom wouldn't zoom in very far due to the WA lens design.

No quick "Easy" record mode- when you just need to pick up the cam and start shooting at something taking place- this camera does not have an "easy" mode therefore you'll need to adjust aperature, shutter and gain manually to suit the lighting conditions- it''s a 100% "all the time" manual camera- not for the run and gun type shooting I sometimes employ...when something is unfolding on the spot- you'll likely miss the action with a DVX.

The DVX is undoubtedly an awesome cam- but it's more suited for true "Indie" type filmmakers who will be shooting under controlled conditions- or under conditions where they can setup and adjust the camera to match lighting- probably 90% tripod mounted. The image quality is the best i've seen (beats my XL1s for sure)....the form factor and control placement of the Panasonic is excellent....it's a serious piece of camera well suited to studio or film enviornments- I dont feel it would make a good "on the fly" type camera.....if I were making a music video or film- i'd go with the Panasonic DVX for sure!

I'll miss the comanding presence it has (much lke the XL's)....but the Canon GL2 makes me smile every time I shoot with it- it's a keeper.

Rich Stone February 9th, 2003 08:07 PM

Cool video, thanks a ton!

Robert Knecht Schmidt February 9th, 2003 09:48 PM

Great footage, Steve. I wouldn't have thought there would be hawks in NYC.

Ken Tanaka February 9th, 2003 10:59 PM

Steve has devoted many, many hours documenting this apparent anachronism. Last year I had the priveledge of seeing some short clips of Steve's work, then shot with an XL1s, that he was doing for the NY Parks. They were on-par with work you'd see on Animal Planet documentaries. Some top-notch shots. As anyone who's tried to get good wildlife footage knows, this work takes great patience, great determination and mastery of one's tools.

Jeff Donald February 10th, 2003 07:07 AM

Robert, urban environments are full of wildlife as they adapt to their coexistence with man. Eight or nine years ago I shot Snowy Owls at Burke Lakefront Airport in Cleveland. Wildlife is everywhere, you need to know where to look. Central Park is an oasis in a harsh urban landscape for wildlife. At certain times of the year (migration) it is easier to find birds there than many more natural settings. It acts like a magnet attracting birds because of the shelter and food it supplies. You end up with a concentration of wildlife in a very small area.