Non-Canon flash unit at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old February 13th, 2003, 12:43 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Non-Canon flash unit

Hi there,

I have an ten year old PHILIPS flash unit and no camera to use it for. So I looked at the flash unit, looked to my XM2, looked back to the flash unit and though "hey, let's give it a try"

But: could it do any damage to the XM2 or the flash unit? Does it have to be a Canon flash which is really expensive? It fits mechanically, but does it fit electronically also?

Don't wanna push the photo button before you tell me to do so <lol>. This acessory shoe is a mystery to me and any explanations are very welcome.

Thanks in advance,
Chris
Chris Fangio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2003, 10:57 PM   #2
Major Player

I tried using my 10+ year old SunPak flash in my GL2 (I just tried it, didn't worry 'bout harming the cam...I guess I should have) with no success whatsoever. I don't think it will harm your cam at all, but I doubt it will work. I think Canon rigged it so you HAVE to buy one of their nice, expensive Speedlites. So if you are concerned about harming your cam, just don't try it because I can just about guarantee it wont work. Good luck with whatever you decide!
Scott Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2003, 05:55 AM   #3
Wrangler

Probably needs to be a flash that is fully Canon Speedlite compatible.. Not sure if there is such a beast. Check the photo shops for this. Maybe Subpak, Vivitar, or Metz offer one?
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2003, 01:02 AM   #4
Trustee

The only non-canon flashes that will work with the XL and I suppose the GL/XMs are third party flashes that are EOS dedicated. I have a StarBlitz DFC 300 that is EOS dedicated and worked with my XL1. If your Phillips flash is EOS dedicated then it should work, if not then I wouldn't bother. You won't do any damage to either, they just won't communicate.
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2003, 02:02 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks everyone for your comments. So I'll have to go for an EOS-compatible unit and give it a try. Perhaps I'll find one which is cheaper than an original Canon flash.

Chris
Chris Fangio is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders