Enhancing the ME66/K6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old February 13th, 2003, 09:17 PM   #1
Major Player

Enhancing the ME66/K6

I'm working a job that will involve shooting a meeting with about 150 participants. I'm mic'ing the presenter with a wireless but also need to pick up questions from the audience. Planning on using a ME66 with someone pointing it at the individual asking the question since there is really no way to pass a hand mic around. Is there any way to improve the reception (and off axis rejection) of this mic by perhaps using some type of dish reflector that I've seen used in sporting events? Or.... any other ideas.
Rob Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2003, 11:22 PM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Rob,
Unless you're already exclusively committed to the ME-66 you might want to consider using the ME-67 mic instead. It has a significantly narrower field and also fits onto the same K6 power module as the ME-66.

Other than that, just follow the general mic-ing guidelines that normally apply. Get the mic as close to the subject as possible, perhaps using a boom. Make sure it's pointed downward if possible to eliminate background sounds.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2003, 01:01 AM   #3
ChorizoSmells

Rob,
I own an ME-67, great mike, make sure the person who will hold and point the mike has a pair of headphones so they can monitor the sound. Just pointing the mike at the general direction of the speaker is not enough, I always wear headphones when I use that mike so I can find the best sound. Headphones are especially needed if you have the mike pointing downwards, you don't want to get audio of the speakers feet shuffling.
Old February 14th, 2003, 01:26 AM   #4
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Postscript & Clarification

Rik's right-on in his remarks.

To clarify my recommendation, my reasoning for suggesting the ME-67 was to better-enable you to zero-in on a single voice in a closely-packed audience. This level or surgical precision may or may not be desirable in your case. Broadcast news crews generally use shotgun mics wih patterns similar to that of the ME-66 (if not actually using the ME-66) to cover press conference questions. The ME-67's field is much narrower. In fact the mic should probably ship with a crosshair sight <g>. As Rik noted, it will definitely require active monitoring.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2003, 06:27 AM   #5
Major Player

Thanks for the inputs, wish I had a 67 to work with but for the time being, have to use what I've got! Guess best case is to use the 66 on a wireless and have my sound guy move up and down the room to get as close as posssible. Boom is probably more work then value since it would only reach 15% of the room (60ft wide). Previous posts have discussed using the mic amps with headphone jacks between the mic and wireless transmitter. Looks like it's time to spend more money (Does it EVER end).
Old February 14th, 2003, 08:04 AM   #6
ChorizoSmells

If your sound guy will be running up and down to get the person asking the question, make sure to have the main speaker work with the sound guy, so when the sound guy is in position with the question guy, the speaker can ask the person to repeat the question.

I can picture someone asking a question and by the time the sound guy gets near the questioner, the speaker is already answering the question which you didn't get on tape. Maybe an annoucement by the main speaker telling everyone to wait untill the sound guy is ready before asking their question.

I doubt people will remember so good luck when filming, hope your sound guy is fast on his feet.
Old February 18th, 2003, 11:47 AM   #7
Major Player

Just finished fabrication of a hand held mount for the ME66 that should work really well for this application. Less than $50 in parts and "Looks" like it'll do everything the $250 Sennheiser mounts do (well, it won't work well as a stand). Plus, it isolates cable noise from the mic. If anyone is curious, glad to send pics/parts
Old February 18th, 2003, 12:33 PM   #8
Regular Crew

i am curious.. please send pics...

tlarson@cathedralcity.gov

Thanx,
Tustin
Tustin Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2003, 12:51 PM   #9
Major Player

Tustin, sent directly to your email. Not sure how/where to post.
Old February 18th, 2003, 03:12 PM   #10
Major Player

Im curious too...can you send pics and parts to my email: jius@excite.com

Thanks!!!
Christopher Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2003, 08:32 PM   #11
Regular Crew

I would also like to see...

please send to joshuaATbusybrainDOTcom

please change AT to @ and DOT to .

(put that way for spam safety)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders