n00b question about this clip at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old June 8th, 2006, 07:55 AM   #1
Regular Crew

n00b question about this clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sya0mnbl1vs

I like the darkness around the frame. Is this post production or lens attachment? If lens, what is it called so I don't sound silly to the sales person at my local Penn Camera store. :^)
Old June 8th, 2006, 11:10 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I'd say it's vignetting, perhaps caused by a too-small lens hood, or a feature:) of the wide-angle lens attachment if you're using one. The tell-tale is that it seems to go away as you zoom in.
Francois Camoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2006, 11:52 AM   #3
Regular Crew

that efx was done in post with a grad. ND Efx.
Peter Costello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2006, 12:20 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Looks a lot like the vignetting I get on my FX1 with my 58mm thread Sony telextender not zoomed in enough...
Old June 8th, 2006, 12:36 PM   #5
Major Player

35mm adapters give edge falloff very well
Frank Hool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2006, 12:51 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Best damn car show PERIOD! I have no clue as to why they dont show it in the States anymore...

Oh, for the video production, I've always admired the beauty and creative genious of the shows post-production work. I'm sure they are not using GL2's, but I could be wrong.
David L. Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2006, 06:27 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I want to be able to use that in my videos. Alas, I only have iMovie. I haven't gotten familiar with FCE 2.0 yet.

So there's a filter for the GL2 that can do this? I guess it's better to do it in post, huh?
Old June 9th, 2006, 08:39 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Calalang
I want to be able to use that in my videos. Alas, I only have iMovie. I haven't gotten familiar with FCE 2.0 yet.

So there's a filter for the GL2 that can do this? I guess it's better to do it in post, huh?
I think Joe is referring to the black bars effect. Most movies are filmed in a format where they were shown in ratios of 1.66:1 all the way up to 3:1 where the movie was three times as wide as it is high. Unfortunately, because TV screens are not that wide, we have been subjected to movies having visual portions completely cut off so that the image will fit on our screens.
This is where wide screen videos and DVDs come into play. The wide screen transfer process actually shrinks a movie down so that the entire visual image fits on your television screen. This results in what are inaccurately called "black bars". Of course, if you like that look you can add it on with sofware. Joe do yourself a favor and read this: http://www.michaeldvd.com.au/Article...nhancement.asp

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders