Difficulty in getting sharp landscaps shots!!! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old June 11th, 2006, 03:50 AM   #1
New Boot

Difficulty in getting sharp landscaps shots!!!

I'm happy with my XM2 overall. The only really difficulty I have is when trying to film landscapes. The pictures appear to be blurry and without detail. If I zoom in in a subject the pics fine but when zooming out the pics bad!!! Is there anyway I can increase the picture detail?
Raymond Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2006, 04:01 AM   #2
Trustee

Sorry, but I think that you've found the biggest drawback with small CCD DV camcorders, and Standard Def DV as well. You just won't have the resolving power of the system to allow for the fine details in landscapes. Close shots will be fine - as you've discovered.
The loss of resolution is even more marked if you use the faux-widescreen setting as well.
Another reason - although I don't think so somehow - could be a fault with your lens; though with fixed lenses, there shouldn't really be anything to go wrong...

Robin
Robin Davies-Rollinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2006, 04:34 AM   #3
Major Player

I agree with what Robin says.

As a remedy, you could zoom in a bit and try your hand at a very slow pan.

Beware ***PLUGGER-BYTES***
John Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2006, 04:38 AM   #4
New Boot

cheers!

Thanks for your replies....any 3 ccd cams you can recommend which would be good for landscapes? I've heard the Sony FX1 is good at capturing landscapes?
Old June 11th, 2006, 04:39 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Stupid question time again for me - what f number (aperture) are you shooting at? Generally, the higher the more dof and the sharper the image seems.
Tim Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2006, 04:45 AM   #6
New Boot

Hello

I think the last time I took some video of a local landscape it was set at f4 or something near that!
Old June 11th, 2006, 05:02 AM   #7
Regular Crew

f4 on dv is quite sharp, but it cant hurt to try higher values
Tim Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2006, 05:16 AM   #8
New Boot

Cheers!

I've just been trying my cam out through my bedroom window and at the local mountain at f1.6 the pictures a great deal sharper! I think I need to experiement more!
Old June 11th, 2006, 05:48 AM   #9
Wrangler

The problem is the resolution limits of video. 720x480 will not resolve fine detail, and wide landsacpe shots need fine detail. The same issue can be encounterd with still photography, but because film is generally much higher resolutionit is notas pronounced and arises ar much greater distances fromt he subject.

The sweet spot for lens performance is likely around F/5.6, give or take a stop.
Old June 11th, 2006, 06:51 AM   #10
Wrangler

People have made some good points here. The relatively low resolution of standard definition DV is a big limitation for shooting landscapes, and the small chips in your camera don't make things any better. But with some experience you can compose shots that are still effective by concentrating on large, bold shapes or dramatic skies. Here are a few still frames from my Z1 with a .6x wide angle lens, scaled down to half resolution (960x540). If landscapes are important to you then you might consider the FX1 or one of the other new HD camcorders:

http://forums.njpinebarrens.com/gall...707&fullsize=1
http://forums.njpinebarrens.com/gall...705&fullsize=1

Have a look at this old thread which contains some interesting info and also links to some tests I did awhile ago: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=28087
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2006, 07:54 AM   #11
New Boot

cheers!

Cheers and thanks for the great advice from everyone! Amazing still pictures by the way!
Raymond Jones is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders