Losing picture? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old June 13th, 2006, 09:22 AM   #1
New Boot

Losing picture?

Hello Forum
I'm filming basketball games for the coachs at the local high school and although they have no complaints about the video quality they do wonder why the top of the video picture is absent. I have explained that when reviewed on my computer there is no loss of picture and that they need a high definition moniter. Is this correct? And would shooting in 16:9 help with the picture loss? Thanks in advance.
joe irvine
Joe Irvine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2006, 10:47 AM   #2
Major Player

Strange. Definitely sounds like they have a crummy monitor on their hands. I assume you've checked your footage on a few monitors and have never noticed what they're talking about.

Are they saying that the top of the image gets overscanned out of the frame, or that there's a black bar there? Not quite sure what you mean.

FWIW, I have personally vowed NEVER to shoot 16:9 with my GL1. The loss in resolution just isn't worth it.
Old June 20th, 2006, 06:44 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Jarrod, You're kinda right. As a videographer, you need to be aware that televisions remove about 8% from the top, bottom and sides when displaying images. Keep the action inside this 'safe zone' (as it's called) when shooting.
Hank Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2006, 10:36 AM   #4
Regular Crew

it possible you just need to calibrate it. on my sharp tv, it has options to set everything up to avoid overscan.
Old June 20th, 2006, 10:55 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Johnson
it possible you just need to calibrate it. on my sharp tv, it has options to set everything up to avoid overscan.
Good suggestion--however, not all TV's will do this. And what's more, you can't always (if ever) know how your clients are setting up their TV's.

All this talk of overscan might be moot though. Joe never really clarified exactly what the problem was. As is, the description he gave is a bit vague.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders