DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   ND filters! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/69575-nd-filters.html)

Raymond Jones June 15th, 2006 03:29 AM

ND filters!

I film most of my work, at the moment, in bright sunshine and keep getting the signal to attached an external ND filter. Which filter will I need: x2, x4, etc!

Thanks!

Graham Bernard June 15th, 2006 04:01 AM

ok .. have you actually "used" the built in ND filter yet? Button for this is located - looking from behind camera - high on the left hand side, next/alongside to the Manual Focus button . This will invoke the built in 0.9ND. But are you asking for FURTHER NDs? Beyond the camera's one?

Grazie

Raymond Jones June 15th, 2006 04:42 AM

After I've used the internal ND filter I still get a 'on' indicating to fit an external ND filter! Yes I'm asking for more ND filters to fit onto the 58mm thread.

Graham Bernard June 15th, 2006 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond Jones
After I've used the internal ND filter I still get a 'on' indicating to fit an external ND filter! Yes I'm asking for more ND filters to fit onto the 58mm thread.

Have you tried to reduce the IRIS or shutter speed?

Grazie

Jarrod Whaley June 15th, 2006 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond Jones
After I've used the internal ND filter I still get a 'on' indicating to fit an external ND filter!

The camera is simply telling you that the filter is being used. It flashes when it wants you to add the filter.

The built-in filter should be more than enough (unless you want to use further filtration to allow a wider aperture and thus shallower depth of field). If the image is too bright, close down your iris or speed up your shutter.

Graham Bernard June 15th, 2006 08:35 AM

Thanks Jarrod - Yup, "Speed Up" the shutter speed. I didn't make it clear enough.

Joshua Provost June 15th, 2006 08:47 AM

Raymond,

If you have the built-in ND engaged and you are still overexposed (it must be very bright out), you can add a 58mm ND filter. Which one? It depends on how wide you want the iris to open (if you're going for shallow DOF), or how bright it is in any given circumstances. I recommend having a .3, .6, and .9 around at all times, to adjust to any given circumstance. You can combine them if you need more power.

However, since you have a built-in .9, the .3 and .6 should give you all the flexibility you need.

Josh

Tim Johnson June 15th, 2006 08:47 AM

i find this to on some sunny days in england, that its not possible to get a decent exposure. ND2 is a very subtle filter, so you will need to gauge how much you need.

Graham Bernard June 15th, 2006 09:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Johnson
i find this to on some sunny days in england, that its not possible to get a decent exposure. ND2 is a very subtle filter, so you will need to gauge how much you need.

Yes, if I want to stay around 1.8 or 1.6 on a sunny day to get that elusive shallow DoF I use .6 + .9 ND PLUS the onboard ND. Gives me about 2.4 of ND. I use a matte biox to achieve this.

Grazie

Graham Bernard June 15th, 2006 09:19 AM

What I will also add is that it was when I started to use extra ND filters that this remarkable camera gave me things I never knew it could produce. This camera LOVES bright sunlight - but always wear protection!!

Grazie

Dale Guthormsen July 30th, 2006 09:31 AM

exra nd

Grazie,

thanks for the last post!!! Here in the prairies summer sun, and winter sun (with snow reflecting light everywhere) are really harsh. I have to use both the enternal nds almost all the time.
You thumbnail picture was brilliant, I will purchase a couple more nd filters!!!
I appreciate your time and advice!!