Advice on Filters for GL2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old June 28th, 2006, 08:32 AM   #1
New Boot

Advice on Filters for GL2

I own a GL2 and I was curious on which filters would be most helpful for the camera. Its hard for me to say what I shoot most often as it changes and evolves with whatever need is at hand. Mostly I shoot man-on-the-street stuff, some time-lapses, and whatever else. Any advice on how filters would help or any other advoce is welcome.
Micah Garner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2006, 08:44 AM   #2
Old Boot

BIG topic!

However .. . filters fall into 2 main "user" groupings:

1 - Screw on Circular, and for us that means 58mm diameter filters

2 - Matte Box, and for me that is 100x100mm = 4"x4" squares . .you can get rectangular ones . .but let's keep it simple.

Group 1 are cheaper than 2 - plus with group 2 you will need to obtain a method of attaching this lump of glass/resin to the front of the camera. Sooooo.. that would be a relatively expensive device called a Matte box.

There is much posted here on this subject, so not wanting to "appear" unhelpful do a search using "matte" or "matte box" and filters will get you loads of stuff.

If you have further Qs then come back at us - yeah?

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2006, 10:40 AM   #3
Wrangler

polarizer, soft fx-1, black pro-mist 1/4, a warming filter...those are all nice....
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2006, 07:31 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Do you need a special adapter to fit those on a GL2, or do they simply screw on the lens?
Steve Maisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2006, 08:35 AM   #5
Wrangler

i use screw-ons, but i do a lot of field work and outdoors shooting and don't really want to mess around with a mattebox or add the additional weight. in studio, you might want a mattebox. depends on your application....
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2006, 10:33 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Steve,

if you arre on limited income the two most used filters would be a polizer and a haze filter to protect the lens at other times.
Old June 29th, 2006, 11:12 PM   #7
Fred Retread

Here are two 58 mm filter kits with some description of their applications. For more details you can go to Tiffen's site:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search
Old March 20th, 2007, 02:50 AM   #8
New Boot

Entry Level Filter Kit

So does anyone recommend a good starter filter kit? Good experience, good quality?

More specifically, is there a kit that addresses the needs of the starting videographer, that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, and still delivers good quality. I see opteka kits all over for like $20 USD, but are they worth a damn?

Thanks!
Old March 21st, 2007, 10:07 PM   #9
Inner Circle

cheap filters are like cheap lenses, they usually do not pay in the long run.

If you can afford a gl2, spring for decent filters. go to B&H online catelog and check them out. there are some kits from more respected filter companys but I think you would be better off buying them one at a time as you need them.
Note: plastic/resin lenses scratch very easily compared to glass!!
Old March 22nd, 2007, 12:00 AM   #10
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Guthormsen View Post
If you can afford a gl2, spring for decent filters. go to B&H online catelog and check them out. there are some kits from more respected filter companys but I think you would be better off buying them one at a time as you need them.
So what is a respected company for GL2 filters?
Old March 22nd, 2007, 07:53 AM   #11
Wrangler

Look for recognized brand names: e.g., Tiffen, B+W, Schneider, Canon, Hoya and so on. With optics cost is usually a good indicator. By cost, I mean cost from a profesional dealer with a good reputation and wide selection of brands. (Not cost as seen on the accessory sheet of a low-ball internet reseller witout any store front. They often will low ball the main item and stick it to the buyer on the price of accessories.) An noted B&H is a good reference point.
Old March 22nd, 2007, 11:00 PM   #12
New Boot

Price vs. Name Brand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Palomaki View Post
Look for recognized brand names: e.g., Tiffen, B+W, Schneider, Canon, Hoya and so on. With optics cost is usually a good indicator. By cost, I mean cost from a profesional dealer with a good reputation and wide selection of brands. (Not cost as seen on the accessory sheet of a low-ball internet reseller witout any store front. They often will low ball the main item and stick it to the buyer on the price of accessories.) An noted B&H is a good reference point.
I thought as much. Tiffen seems to have good cost vs. value. The B+W lenses look killer, but they must be king of the mountain because most of their filters (that I could price anyway) were pretty up there.

Appreciate the feedback. A shopping I will go...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders