Sakar Lenses at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old February 19th, 2003, 11:43 AM   #1
New Boot

Sakar Lenses

I found a kit at Buydig .com that includes a Sakar digital optics .5X pro wide angle len w/ macro and a Sakar digital optics 2X pro telephoto lens converter. My question is...Has anyone used a Sakar lens, are they ok, is Sakar a good company...they make batteries as well...are they good because a Sakar BP-941 is also included in the kit. This is my first post and I hope someone can help...thanks
Scotty Pearson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2003, 11:52 AM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Welcome Scotty

You're looking at a kit for a still photo camera, not a GL1 or GL2 video camera.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2003, 12:00 PM   #3
New Boot

Ken

it says it is a gl2 kit the entire kit is at http://www.buydig.com/shop.php?prod_id=ACCCNO ,tell what you think if you would,thanks
Old February 19th, 2003, 12:20 PM   #4

Ah, I see.

My opinion is to pass on this $550 grab bag of junk. The filters are garbage. The "BP-941" is probably junk (it's list price of $149 is rediculously high). I can virtually guarantee that the Sakar w-a adapter is very slow and loaded with aberrations.

When it comes to optics for your GL2 stick with the top manufacturers and buy specifics, not kits. If you want a wide-angle adapter get a Canon WD-58 or a Century Optics. By pputting crappy glass in front of the GL2's outstanding flourite lens you'd be turning your whole GL2 into crap. If you want to buy tapes, buy good tapes.

If you want to buy a case, buy a good case. Stay away from these "...But wait, there's more!" boardwalk-style deals.

Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

Old February 19th, 2003, 12:41 PM   #5
New Boot

Thanks!

Always looking for a deal...that's me, I'll get the wd58h...and then get the telephoto later...you rock for the quick response!
Old February 19th, 2003, 05:08 PM   #6
Trustee

I have a Sony 1.7x tele extender lens.....works great- check out the "hawk" thread and check the samples if you're interested in the Sony's lens performance....price was $299 @ B&H
Old February 19th, 2003, 07:04 PM   #7
Trustee

I don't know, I have Sakar lenses and filters as part of a package and I think they're pretty good. Maybe I don't know what I'm missing but I can't imagine the picture looking any better.
Peter Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2003, 08:27 PM   #8
Wrangler

I bought a Sakar branded camera (photo) lens several years ago. It was Junk.

Many grab bag kits are over priced and under value. However Joe and Jane Sixpack may never notice the difference on their $159 K-mart special TV set, as they watch the home movies they made of them selves. (But then, they probably would not buy a GL1/2 eithr.)
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2003, 08:41 PM   #9

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If a Sakar wide-angle adapter looks interesting to someone they should take it for a spin! If it turns out to look good to them for their applications, more power to them!

Scotty, please don't feel embarassed if you decide to try the Sakar w-a adapter. But I just hate to see folks get suckered into buying these grab-bag kits. As Don notes, they're really "over-priced and under-valued".

p.s. Scotty, how do the Cubs look out there this year?

Old February 19th, 2003, 08:52 PM   #10
New Boot

opinions...

Thanks one and all! I went with WD58H at Zotzdigital because Brian the dude over there is an outstanding guy,honest and good deals...those poor cubs...I might make it out to a game but I'm looking forward to my box seats at the Oakland/San Francisco game...Bonds and Tejada..woo hoo! Oh yeah shouts to my p-town peeps....Go Diamondbacks!
Scotty Pearson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders