DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Canon UK Service Centre details (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/72978-canon-uk-service-centre-details.html)

Ian Stark August 4th, 2006 10:01 AM

Canon UK Service Centre details

This couldn't have happened at a worse time!

My XM2 has developed a fault which I guess is related to the recording heads or electronics in that area, in that on playback I get a load of garbled noise and only a tiny portion of the image.

I got the 'clean heads' message this morning, which I duly did, and I have suffered the 'eject cassette' issue for quite some time now, although that only seemed to affect rewinding of tapes - until today, when I got the message a couple of times when I tried to insert a new tape. I was able to continue filming though, so I didn't pay any further attention to it.

If I use DV-Rack I can record directly into the PC ok. Usual great picture etc. However, when using a tape, all I get on playback is noise, hence the assumption it's the heads.

So, to cut to the chase, can anyone please supply me the contact details for a Canon Service Centre, or an authorised repair shop, in or around the Hampshire area? In fact, anywhere in the lower half of the UK would suit as I am desperate to get this sorted! In fact, even an unauthorised repair shop would work right now as the camera is well out of warranty.

Any advice on how long typical turnaround is at a Canon Service Centre? I have just won two new bits of business, both corporate videos, on the strength of being able to complete quickly!

All advice welcomed!

Cheers.

Ian . . .

Ian Stark August 4th, 2006 10:07 AM

Additional enquiry: Anyone used these guys before? http://www.digiservice.co.uk/

Any good?

James Bright August 6th, 2006 04:35 PM

canon service and repair

Try this link.
https://self-service.canon-europe.com/uk/pages/

Graham Bernard August 6th, 2006 09:53 PM

Not good guy . . .

Ian? Did you get the XL2 from Kamla? Are you now sorted?

Ian Stark August 7th, 2006 04:00 AM

Thanks James. Much appreciated.

Ian Stark August 7th, 2006 04:13 AM

Hi Grazie,

Yeah, bit of a downer, eh?!

BUT (and here's the good part) I am now the happy owner of a Canon XL2!

There's an awful lot more to get to grips with on the XL2 compared with the XM2. I recall when I first got the XM2 I was a little overwhelmed - thank God I didn't leap in and get an XL1S in the beginning! I've now got a few days where I can really focus on getting to know it before putting it into commercial use - if I can stop my girly giggling every time I pick the thing up!

My plans for the XM2 (assuming it can be repaired) are to use it as a backup/second camera. If it can't be economically repaired then I still may use it as a backup camera in emergencies but record straight to disk with DV-Rack.

Out of interest, do you have any plans for upgrading? Also, do I correctly recall you sent your camera for repair once? Did you go to Canon?

Cheers.

Ian . . .

Graham Bernard August 8th, 2006 03:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian Stark
Also, do I correctly recall you sent your camera for repair once? Did you go to Canon?

Cheers.

Ian . . .

Always have plans for upgrading.

Fortunately both repairs fell just within the warranty expiry date. The second one was within 7 days! So I'm pleased.

But, as I have held out for a Canon HDV offering, I seem to have got this correct. PLUS the XM2s are holding out too and NOW that I've seen the Canon HDV with the 3-rings and all the other stuff that the XL2 has, but with the HDV, and some, I might as well carry on comfortably with my XM2s; carrying on making my corporate stuff and build up a war chest for HDV. Simple calculation on my part really.

I'm glad I wasn't in your shoes, as to needing too - warranty expiring and so on - to having to purchase a SD camera, that I can now comfortably fall back on 2 XM2s and bide my time with the knowledge that the XM2s will, most likely hold out - and yes I do have break down cover too. Pretty cheap, as it worked out to be something like 20 quid a year? You may wish, Ian, to contact some company like Domestic and General for a repair cover, once your warranty on the XL2 is coming to an end? Gave me peace of mind. I started mine so that it started ion the following day that the warranty expired. Do yourself a favour. Yeah?

Nope, the next camera I want/wish to buy will be an HDV - along the lines of the new Canon 3-Ring. And maybe by then there will be even better deals to be had.

And, yes you are correct, I sent my camera for repair and I yes I went to Canon. And, more to the point, I emailed you.

Ian Stark August 8th, 2006 04:12 AM

All good advice! Especially the D&G thing. I'll look into that.

I wasn't in a position to go for the Canon HD offering, sadly - but then again I don't think I really have the horsepower for editing HDV just yet.

Over on the XL2 forum the accepted wisdom seems to be that the XL2, with its stunning 16:9, will bridge the gap nicely for a few years, so I'm comfortable. I'm off to do some test shooting this afternoon. I keep giggling like a schoolgirl!!

I'm really hoping that the XM2 can be repaired as it's proved to be a fantastic camera. It's also the only camera I'd consider taking on holiday - I can't see myself whipping out the XL2 to get that shot of the kids on the beach (my kids, people, MY kids . . .).