photos on tape at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old March 4th, 2003, 12:23 PM   #1
Major Player

photos on tape

This is some missing feature on GL2/XM2, or I'm geting it all wrong! I don't understand the logic in the way this camcorder takes pics on the tape: you push the "photo" button and the camcorder starts recording (regardless if the camcorder was on pause or rec) the pic for 6 seconds. After that it enters PAUSE, again, no matter if you were recording or in pause before taking the pic! I don't understand why! On my old M9000 Panasonic I could take a pic BEFORE or WHILE recording and store it in the camcorder's buffer. Than I could OVERLAP the pic when I wanted to change the POV and not interrupt the sound...
Some clients (I do weddings) prefere to receive the tape the next day and not wait (and pay) for editing. So I have to do "in cam" editing...
Now I can't just take a pic of a flower and use it while changing the POV.
I can't even use the 6 second photo feature because the camcorder goes to pause after that! :-(
Cosmin Rotaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2003, 05:50 PM   #2
RED Code Chef

Now I don't own your camera, but if I'm not mistaken you can
setup the GL2 to record on tape OR the memory card you can
stick in there. If you record to the card you will not mess up
your tape (if I'm not mistaken). Check your manual!!

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2003, 09:04 PM   #3
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Cosmin,
Rob's 100% correct. Push the Tape/Card switch to Tape and a "photo" will be recorded to the tape as 6 sec of still footage. Push the switch toward "Card" and it will be stored on the flash card.

That's the way it's designed.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2003, 01:56 AM   #4
Old Boot

Don't you just love that imitated sound of an SLR doing its thing? Click-swoosh-Click! Magic, I just take photos just to hear this sound! - First time I heard it, I thought I hadn't taken my medication - hey c'mon! It's true - don't tell me I'm hearing things AGAIN - "Nurse -over here we've got a problem!"
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2003, 05:21 AM   #5
Major Player

yea, the sound is nice :)

I'm talking about the photos you take on TAPE. Not on the card. What annoys me is that the camcorder gets on PAUSE after the 6 seconds. Regardless if you were recording BEFORE pushing the PHOTO button. You push the PHOTO and you know that you'll have a 6 seconds photo and the the recording STOPS.

Let me explain what I used to do with my old Panasonic (for in camera editing): BEFORE I start recording I took a pic (that goes into a buffer, not on tape. You see the pic for two seconds after you push the button and then dissapears from viewfinder). Then, while recording, when I needed to go from one place to another, without pausing the camera (because I didn't want to interrupt the music or speech or whatever) I would MIX the pic from the buffer. The pic slowly dissolves over the image. Then, when I reach the desired position, I would push MIX again so the picture slowly dissapears and the camcorder continues to record the image coming from the CCD.
This is how you'd make it in Adobe Premiere (the upper video is the picture):

http://www1.dr.myx.net/sites/foto-video/mix.gif

Why does the canon have to switch to PAUSE after the 6 seconds photo?! What's the use for that?
Cosmin Rotaru is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders