GL2 Open Box Price at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old March 4th, 2003, 12:51 PM   #1
Regular Crew

GL2 Open Box Price

An authorized dealer has one listed at $1,997.15.

Should i assume that this is pretty darn close to their dealer cost? If so, how is canon going to be competitive if the panasonic 953 is a success at $1350 or so?
Jed Williamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2003, 01:14 PM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

I've really no idea what dealers' cost is on the GL2. It probably varies according to volume.

If the camera comes with a Canon U.S. warranty and is truly in new condition it looks like you may have found a good deal.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2003, 02:10 PM   #3
Regular Crew

new under $2000

I just ordered a new GL2 for something just under $2000 from buydig.com. In checking their feedback it seems reasonably good and they advertise it as fully US warrantied with all accessories and claim they are Canon authorized, which I couldn't verify. I have not yet received it. I did call for a tracking number which hasn't yet been released and I was not pushed into buying anything additional. I was quite surprised.
Bud Kuenzli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2003, 12:54 AM   #4
New Boot

Under $2000

How did you get it under $2,000. There website says $2,189.

Just wondering.
K. Penewit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2003, 01:32 AM   #5
Regular Crew

their web site says...

No...not when I go there. currently at buydig..

http://buydig.com/shop.php?prod_id=CNVGL2

I see the GL2 for $1989

The Excutive (their spelling, not mine) Kit is $2189 and the Excutive Kit Upgrade is $2289.

The jury is still out since I've not been able to confirm it has shipped.
Old March 5th, 2003, 01:39 AM   #6
New Boot

good luck

Please keep me posted as soon as you hear more. I need to buy a GL2 by the end of the week.

Email me at midwestvideo@aol.com

Thanks and good luck with the GL2.
K. Penewit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2003, 01:51 AM   #7

Guys,
May I suggest giving ZGC, one of our sponsors, a call? (973-335-4460) Extremely competitive prices, outstanding post-sales support and 100% Canon-certified dealers. I bought both my XL1S and GL2 from them as well as many other items. (And, no, I didn't get any special deals just because I'm a moderator here.)

You really will be doing yourself a favor, as many folks here have discovered.

Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

Old March 5th, 2003, 05:39 AM   #8
Tourist

Mine has shipped!

Regarding the buydig.com GL2 for under $2,000: I purchased one from them on monday, and it has shipped. Checked the Fed-Ex site with provided tracking number and it is on its way (shipping from New Jersey). I will also report when it arrives.

This company looks very good, and the best price I have found south of a scam! :-)
Allan Reichert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2003, 06:34 AM   #9
Outer Circle

"how is canon going to be competitive if the panasonic 953 is a success at $1350 or so?"

The GL2 has larger CCDs, a bigger/longer lens, and is built like a brick sh*t house (excuse my language). They are very different cams.

The PV-DV953 is a very small hand-held, and it may just be a stripped down version of the popular MX5000.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2003, 09:14 AM   #10
Regular Crew

ZGC

When I go to a web site to consider a purchase there are some basic things I look for. They include price, shipping details, contact information, an indication that a camera will ship with all the proper included items and a clear statement regarding USA warranty.
ZDG does not even have a price listed for the GL-2. The difference between the retail, good price and best price is significant enough to warrant some time spent researching, and there are enough sites to search from that I choose not to go to further work. ZGC requires a phone call or email to get a quote. That's where they lose me. Their web site it really not set up for sales. When going to the GL2 page there is no place to click to buy the item.
I'm glad they are sponsoring this web site but if they want business they should consider providing a way to -easily- allow potential buyers to actually buy an item via the Internet. Not exactly a new idea.
Old March 5th, 2003, 10:28 AM   #11

Bob,
I understand your impression and feelings. I, too, have largely been seduced by the new click/buy convenience of the Web and was underwhelmed by ZGC's site. Where is the shopping cart? Why can't I buy this now?

ZGC's principal business, however, is with the feature film and television production business on the east coast. The products you see on their site represent a fraction of what they sell. Serving such a specialized commercial market requires personal contact, not an extensive online store.

All I can say is that doing business with ZGC was a different world from doing business with box shops and www.wild-man-sams.com. When you phone them they remember you. Chances are that you'll be talking with the same people (Mizell or Christine) from call to call. When I had a problem with my first GL2 there was no yang-yang, no on-hold-for-30-minutes, no we'll-have-to-send-you-an-RMA crappola. Just good old fashioned personal customer service, the level of which you'd only expect if you were spending $100,000+. Basically because that's probably ZGC's average order size and they just conduct themselves at that level at all times.

So, Bob, I again agree that ZGC does not present a strong online presence or e-shopping experience. But again I suggest that you're short-changing your decision process in not giving them a call or asking for a quote via email. After all you're spending 2,000+ hard-earned dollars. Stepping out of click-buy mode for a minute may be worth the inconvenience.

Best Regards,

Old March 6th, 2003, 09:35 AM   #12
Sponsor: ZGC

buydig.com is Beach Camera. They are authorized Canon dealers but under the "mail order channel" umbrella so to speak.

They are, like the other mail order DV businesses, into high volume, selling expensive accessories and lucrative extended warranties with the cheaply priced cameras. They can low-ball the price for those reasons and because they get a volume discount from Canon. What you won't get is customer service. If you have a problem later, understand that you will be on your own to figure it out.

FYI - Extended warranties are a great way for a company to make money. If there is a problem with your camera, the chance that an issue will reveal itself 2 years later is very low. Our experience is that if there is a defect, it reveals itself shortly after you turn it on for the first time and give it it's first run. With the exception of just a few cameras that ZGC has sold over the past 3 years, all of them have worked just fine right out of the box with no defect.

I hope this helps clarify a little. Basically, it's "let the buyer beware." Get the camera at the best price, but understand the downside before you leap. Some people have gotten great deals and had no problem with receiving their cameras in the mail via mail order places. On the other hand, we get calls all the time from people who called previously and now want to buy accessories from us, saying that they wished they had bought the camera from us originally because of the nightmare they went through with mail order.

Cheers,
Barbara Lowry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2003, 08:06 PM   #13
Tourist

GL2 Arrived Today!

My GL2 from buydig.com (Beach) arrived this afternoon. Everything in order and working just fine. I am very pleased with this transaction.

The camera is, without question, awesome. I have been used to an Optura Pi up until now - the footage this baby produces is spectacular!

Since I am familiar with using Digital Video cameras, and this one has full US warranty and was sold by an authorized Canon dealer, I am quite satisfied. I NEVER purchase extended warranties on electronic equipment - only on my car.

I am the technology coordinator for our school district's Media Services department. I will be recommending purchase of a GL2 from this company because of the low price ($300 less than most other quotes). We are not interested in the bells and whistles of support - we need the product at the lowest price possible. This appoach is not for everyone, obviously.

Cheers to everyone. Thanks for a very informative board! :-)
Allan Reichert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2003, 08:23 PM   #14

Allan,
I'm delighted to hear that your purchase worked out well for you and your school district. May you, and your schools' pupils, have fun putting it to good use.

Old March 6th, 2003, 08:52 PM   #15
Tourist

Thanks!

Thank you for your kind words, Ken, and for your invaluable assistance to people on this board. I will be keeping in touch here, since I find this board one of the best resources for digital video on the Net.

Cheers! :-)

Allan
Allan Reichert is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders