GL2 sharpness at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old October 9th, 2006, 06:24 PM   #1
Regular Crew

GL2 sharpness

I find that my GL2 is not really give that sharp of an image in wide angle setting.
I also find that close up , or zoomed in, is a lot sharper then wide shoot. Is this normal or am I asking too much from the equipment I have.
I also find that when I burn a DVD, with Adobe Premiere Pro, that it is no where as sharp as a store bought DVD.
Thank you
Old October 10th, 2006, 04:30 AM   #2
Wrangler

The image resolution is limited to roughly 500 video lines (720 pixels wide) regardless of zoom setting. So in general wide shots will show less detail and this may give the impression of being less sharp.

However, it is possible that your camcorder have a back focus adjustment (an internal service adjustment) that can cuse an outo of focus situation at some zoom settings and distances.

On DVD burning, there are many variable in the proces that can influence the sharpness. That includes the bit-rate available, complexity of the image, amount of motion, and the quality of the compression software. Commercial DVD such as movies use high end compression software, high resolution source material, and high bit rates for outstanding results - results that you cannot duplicate with moderate priced software and hardware such as Premiere and the GL2. That said, you should be able to produce a DVD that yields an image very close to the original video GL2 you used, if you use the high bit rate settings.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders