DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   GL2 Manual Audio mode cuts sound... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/77200-gl2-manual-audio-mode-cuts-sound.html)

Eric Simpson October 10th, 2006 09:34 AM

GL2 Manual Audio mode cuts sound...

Hi,
I'm new to the forum, but I was hoping to get some help concerning the GL2 we use here in our studio. We upgraded from a GL1 to a GL2, and I was looking forward to being able to level the mic inputs as I saw fit, more control is always a good thing, right? However, I noticed that when I clicked the Audio mode switch from "A" to "M", the audio goes dead. No matter where the knobs are, top, bottom, middle, NO audio comes through (the audio meter displays nothing, it's empty). I've checked my settings, the Mic attenuator is off, and I don't see anything that indicates that the manual mode should be disabled. Is this a problem or am I missing something? Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!!

Mike Donley October 10th, 2006 09:40 AM

Shoe?

Do you have anything mounted in the shoe? E.g. others have mentioned audio cutting out when the Canon VL3 video light is mounted in the shoe.

Are you trying to use the on-camera mic? If so, is there anything plugged into the mic jack on the camera?

Are you trying to use an external mic? If so, try using just the camera mic as a test.

Is there sound via headphones?

Grasping for straws:
Don't have my GL2 here to check it, but I wonder if you have the GL2 in Easy Record mode (displays green rectangle). In that mode there is very little if any manual control functionality. And so maybe manual audio does not work in that mode?

If you have an external mic connected, does it have a mono or stereo 1/8 " jack for plugging into the camera? Maybe it makes a difference?

Eric Simpson October 10th, 2006 12:00 PM

Hi Mike, thanks a lot for the response! To address your questions :

-I have nothing in the shoe. We occasionally use a wireless receiver for our microphones that sits in the accessory shoe (just to mount), but this happens whether the shoe has anything in it or not.

-I've tried this using both the on-camera mic and an external mic. 90% of the time, we're filming from the on-camera mic, but again, this issue arises no matter what input we use.

-There is no sound through the headphones when the manual mode is engaged, unfortunately.

-I tried both easy mode and manual mode as far as the visual settings are concerned, again, the audio goes dead whenever the Manual Audio mode is set.

-We usually use a stereo, two-channel receiver whenever we use microphones.

I know I should have looked into this earlier. When first attempting to use the manual mode and seeing no audio, I thought that there was some other setting I wasn't aware of and told myself to check the manual at a later date. The manual says this method should work and it isn't, so I'm now thinking I have a problem with the camera.

Thanks a ton for the response!

Don Palomaki October 10th, 2006 06:50 PM

Is it set to line input level by any chance?

Eric Simpson October 11th, 2006 12:37 PM

Hmm, I'm not seeing that setting in my camera. I looked through the recording settings (under "VCR") and the mic mode is set to normal, mic attenuator is off, but I didn't see anything pertaining to a mic or line input.

Don Palomaki October 12th, 2006 04:37 AM

Apparently the line level only aplies when in audio dub mode or something like that.

At this point I would give Canon a call.