DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Is it time to say good bye to the XM1? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/78065-time-say-good-bye-xm1.html)

Nathaniel McInnes October 23rd, 2006 12:36 PM

Is it time to say good bye to the XM1?

Hey people. I thought i would really never say this but i really want to leave the XM2 and get a Sony FX1 or a Sony PD-170. Where i work they use both of these cameras and personally they are much better quality. The produce a better colour repoduction and a sharper image.

What do you think?

Graham Bernard October 23rd, 2006 01:37 PM

I don't understand why you are asking this question here on the XM1/2 site? What is it you want from XM1/2 users?

You have already given reasons why you think you are going to change.

Don't understand? Sorry . . .

Nathaniel McInnes October 24th, 2006 12:03 AM

I want you opinions on swapping the camera for a Sony PD-170 or a sony FX1

Jarrod Whaley October 24th, 2006 01:13 AM

What does it matter what we think when you've decided you prefer footage from the other cameras? :)

Don Palomaki October 24th, 2006 04:21 AM

Image quality is in large part a matter of taste, artistic intent, and skill of the shooter and folks doing the lighting, etc. If you prefer to work with the Sony's go for it, and perhaps someone else gets a good deal on your used Canon.

The only decision is whether or not the perceived difference in quality and the differnt features worth the additonal cost to trade-up? Only you can answer that question for yourself.

Nathaniel McInnes October 24th, 2006 11:31 AM

Its just that my canon xm2 has about 3 months left on the warrentie. Also i really need to go HD because i am doing alot of green screen shooting.

Graham Bernard October 24th, 2006 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nathaniel McInnes
Its just that my canon xm2 has about 3 months left on the warrentie.

Well, get it covered by a good domestic and general appliance insurance company. I did. Just had the Zoom Rocker replaced. You get an awful lot of cover for the money.

Quote:

Also i really need to go HD because i am doing alot of green screen shooting.

Tell me how Green Screening is a component for the need to go High Def? Please explain?

Nathaniel McInnes October 24th, 2006 01:03 PM

When you do green screening SD you get outlines and also you have to get the lighting 100% right. With HD you have more lines of res and its more accerate. Also im going to be doing alot of 3d animation (people interacting with objects that ain't there etc)

Dave Ferdinand October 24th, 2006 03:05 PM

That's partially true but there's also compression issues to deal with. It's not exactly as straight forward as you're saying. Also, if you're interested in HD only why consider the PD170?

Sony and Canon are about to release new HD cameras so you might want to wait until they're out to make your choice. The FX1 is over 2 years old, it's your money though.

Nathaniel McInnes October 26th, 2006 01:00 PM

I want something which is pritty sterdy. The PD170 or FX1 is designed to take a bashing. The XM2 has a plastic out shell which has a lot of week spots.

Philippe Messier October 26th, 2006 01:05 PM

Quote:

I want something which is pritty sterdy. The PD170 or FX1 is designed to take a bashing. The XM2 has a plastic out shell which has a lot of week spots.

True enough,... but this has nothing to do with the original post... which was refering to the image quality. But i agree,...fx1 is more 'solid' in a way,... even though either one will pay the price hardly if you drop them.

Good luck with your decision

Phil

Nathaniel McInnes October 26th, 2006 01:28 PM

what do peolpe think about the XL H1,

By the way i don't no why it say XM1 at the top it should say XM2